Home Unreal Engine

Going outdoors.

Ok, so I am going to start a little outdoor forest scene. It will include a few different trees and their variations, rock cliffs, some small voliage like tall grass and plants. I will also be adding some grass, rock and dirt textures for the ground. I feel these are pretty common items people would throw in a scene like this. My question is how people are going about outdoor forest scenes lately. Now I know how to model trees and make them optimized and have followed a few tuts on the wiki regarding trees. I am also pretty sure I have a grasp on the large rock structures.
I have heard lately that foliage was removed, if this is true how was it used in the past and what has replaced it now. Also Deco layers, do I throw trees in there as well as all small plants that use to go in a foliage slot. I guess I just don't really understand "foliage" or the foliage actor and how they are used.

Replies

• JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    The epic forum says they're working on an all new landscape system - so they've removed foliage, but the suggestion in the thread is to download an earlier version for the time being. http://tinyurl.com/3pgho8l
  • knak47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so what am I missing if I don't download an older build. Is it just an inconvenience now with newer builds to place small foliage assets or is there more benefits of downloading an older build. I guess I am not sure what I am missing as I haven't played with foliage yet.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    knak47 wrote: »
    Ok, so what am I missing if I don't download an older build. Is it just an inconvenience now with newer builds to place small foliage assets or is there more benefits of downloading an older build. I guess I am not sure what I am missing as I haven't played with foliage yet.

If it's a small scene then there's no real reason to use foliage. You can just make groups of assets and place those. Foliage is only useful if you've got a huge scene and you want to quickly cover it with plants.