Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Heeduk Choi - Environment Artist

Hi folks, recently finished my portfolio website and I was hoping I can get some critique and feedback (regarding the website and the work).

heeduk.weebly.com

I am always looking to improve my work so let me know what you think. thanks.

Replies

• engelmanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    engelmanna polycounter lvl 16
    Your stuff is looking good. I like your skull valley piece. Below are my thoughts.

Content:
    -Overall, your content is a little dark on my monitor. Does anyone else have this issue?

-I think you could tweak your lighting a little more on your scenes. Your sci-fi scene has that nice blue light in one area, but everywhere else is almost pitch black (on my monitor). If you don't want to put any other major lights in, perhaps you could simulate some more ambient lighting coming from all the small lights on the walls. Your urban scene could use a little more contrast in my opinion. (You might be able to get away with just a levels adjustment.)

-Check your normal maps on the building. The brick looks inverted.

-Your layout is clean and easy to navigate. Personally, I think you have to click to many times to see a full-size image, but I'm a little crazy about that stuff.

-I'd look into grouping your lightbox images. Once a light box comes up, I like to be able to click the 'next' and 'previous' buttons to look at images.

-Lastly, (this is totally optional) I'd think about adding some descriptions to your pages. Just a short paragraph describing the project should be fine. Some people like to read that stuff. Those that don't will just skip over it.

Take my crits with a grain of salt, they are by no means 'correct', they are just my opinion.
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say the buildings bricks are too small and do seem to be inverted with the mortar protruding out while the bricks push in. A few words about each project would be cool and I would consider making it easier to navigate between images once they are full size. keep it up :)
  • duckman21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it Blot, Wombat. I will go and add some description and work on the navigation. I agree that the environment is a little too dark, I will go back and adjust those as well.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool website man. Simple....what theme did you use within Weebly? I'm using it to build a portfolio as well so I'm a bit curious.

Also, try to for a new environment do a day time scene. Your environments have this setting/mood lighting that depicts a night time atmosphere. Especially your first. Your Sci Fi one feels like were inside during the midnight shift, half dark, etc.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work Heeduk! Already said that to you in class :) Looking at the space scene on my monitor and it is pretty dark. Its pretty bad on the first shot and I know you have all this detail in there cause I've seen it :P If your normals aren't inverted just multiply the normal map by 1,-1,1 and that will flip the green channel if you hate bouncing back and forth between photoshop and UDK.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I would say it's a good start but you really need some high quality props with closeups. Ideally in a scene.
  • duckman21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Skuee, the template has a black background and a gray bar (forgot the name). I used tables to align all the pictures but that's fairly easy to do...that's why I love Weebly...that, and its free.

Hey Salami, I am going to embarrass myself and ask who you are :p Sorry, still fairly new to Polycount so I don't know everyone's username from class.

Serp, I agree that I need some high quality props. I think I am going to create a brand new mini-scene for this.