Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

space suit with exoskeleton

johanflod
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
johanflod polycounter lvl 7
Modelling in Maya and 3ds Max. Rigging and rendering in Softimage. I got the idea for this model back in 2004/2005 and my intention was to do a "next gen character". Back then I was working on ps2/xbox titles and as I saw Doom 3 I was really hyped to do something cool and high-res. I started to research exo skeletons and hard surface modelling. This model became really slow to work with on my laptop and the file ended up on my back up CDs. I rediscovered it recently and worked some more on the materials and the lights. Feedback is very welcome !

happy_robot_johan_flod.jpg

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    The gloss is killing off any details, can you post some AO renders or screen grabs?
  • johanflod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johanflod polycounter lvl 7
    some screen grabs

backpack_lambert_wireframet.jpg

helmet_shoulder_lambert_wireframet.jpg

breastplate_lambert_wireframet.jpg
  • perfectsoldier23
    This looks really great! I love the style and your mesh has really clean edgeflow. I'm glad you picked this project up again from the concept phase as it appears to have a fantastic start.

Some things I noticed right away is the transition between the metals - the darker internal pieces as well as the pieces on the forearms are reading like plastic. The light is not wrapping around the arms as metal would disperse light across a surface and yet, you appear to have the metal looking proper on the more saturated bronze pieces. Are you going for a different type of material for the matte parts? Currently, it's appearing as a blobby plastic-y surface which is making me think that I am looking more at a toy instead of an actual suit of armor.

I would love to see some grunge and decals but I'm sure that will come later. Let us know how far along you are and what final outcome you are looking for on this piece. For some reason, he looks to me like he should be some kind of scuba diver :] Looks great!