Home Unreal Engine

Weird..awful shadowmaps

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
So..I'm doing an art test So I can't really show you what I'm working on or talk about it, really. But I'm using the most recent build of UDK. It seems everytime I build the lighting in my scene recently I am getting really bizarre shadowing everywhere. As if.. the lighting keeps baking on top of the shadow map instead of writing over it. I made a fresh new scene and made a whole new lighting scheme but the same deal is happening. I was wondering if there is some sort of button I need to push to keep it from doing this, or if this is a common issue, or something completely wonky. The art test is due pretty soon and its a major company. Any help would be appreciated.

and all my light maps are set to bake on the "1" coordinate. I made sure in maya to give the light maps a second UV layout where they all get their own space and there is no overlapping.

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Anything Like this? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81610

I don't really have a solution, I'm afraid...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    hard to tell without screens, but it does sound like you are getting some overlapping issues in your lightmap. not sure how maya exports things but did you double check in the static mesh editor that there is actually a map in the 1 coordinate? (toggling the UV layout button will confirm, switching to 0 should be your texture UVs and 1 should be the lightmap UVs). as a test i would maybe try doing generate unique UVs option within the editor.

http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue3-lightmapping/
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I pinpointed it. Thanks for the quick tips, sadly it was none of that. It was more UDK's fault...as it seems so far. My maps were creating this mess.

Untitled-1.jpg

But, If I completely erase the Mesh's existence from Unreal, create all new .ASE's then reimport it..it seems I get a "clean slate". The Problem occurs when I up the resolution of the light maps AFTER I do one bake. I get that weird...artifacty shit smeared all over my props. I've heard from the internet that the April UDK has been giving lighting issues. who knows, maybe thats it. All I know is that problem has never happened to me before.

Also, is it normal for SWARM to fail in the beginning 50% of the time?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scratch that, deleting and reimporting seems to only work half the time. -___-. And lightmass completely stops now at 99.08% no matter the build setting.. I think all of this comes down to a buggy April edition of UDK.