Home Technical Talk

Baking AO using MR

I'm trying to bake out an AO map using Mental Ray but the results I get are...less than adequate. All I end up with is quite a noisy mess.

Here's the result of a bake.

Plane01Ambient%20Occlusion%20_MR_.jpg

And here's the mesh.

brick-mesh.jpg

I looked at a bunch of different methods including the ones on the wiki and I still get this awful result. :(

All I want is some nice and well-defined shadows.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO looks accurate to the source content, not sure what you're expecting? You have a flat wall with some small indents, the light is occluded in the indents.

You would need more variation in your source to get a different result, in any app.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Well if you think it looks noisy raise the samples in the render to texture dialog.

And as EQ said this is what you should expect from that mesh, if we are misunderstanding what you mean, then provide some more info :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks perfect to me.
    Describe what you'r trying to achieve.. perhaps you've got the naming wrong.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Increase the ray-number and render out a Cavity map while at it. Try to see if that's what you want.

From what I see, everything is as should be, walls are imperfect, especially brick made ones, which you're getting, which should be fine, which is what the source shows.

Also, the shadow question is extremely general. AO renders out local based shadows from each mesh, as a general overall render from the model. If you want more 'defined' insets, you could have beveled the models abit for the slight fall-off (straight baking for AO's and Normals is iffy at best).

Again, I'm winging it, I have no idea what you're looking for.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe you get an effect you want with rendering a complete map with a light in scene.
  • Psy-UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

What I'm really wondering is how you can achieve such clean results as that found in one of PhilipK's tutorials. IE, like this:

tilesold_ps_01a.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has a lot to do with the source mesh that you're baking your AO from. The mesh that PhillipK used to bake that map had a lot of variation in the bricks. There was damaged sculpted into it and the bricks were positioned at different depths. Once you have a good mesh to bake from, getting a high quality map is just a matter of adjusting render settings, such as increasing the samples.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vary your bricks greatly.

You often have to exaggerate things to get them to bake well. You can count on small details being lost or barely making an impact.

I think he has some other tutorials about this too, one explains why you shouldn't go crazy and sub-divide like mad and waste your time painting sub-details.

Always keep in mind what you think will be your final output size will be and plan on that getting hacked down a level or two which happens quite a bit. If your details only hold up at higher resolutions then you're making it wrong.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource wrote: »
    Maybe you get an effect you want with rendering a complete map with a light in scene.
    NOOOOoOOooo...
    Rendering out a complete map will get everything, diffuse, spec highlights and directional shadows. all stuff you don't want in your AO.

A complete map will bake the scenes lighting into the map, if you don't have any lighting in your scene it will go with the default viewport lighting which is based on the viewport camera position. If you move the camera around it will bake differently every time. Its a bit like a flashlight attached to your view.

Also if you're scene lighting doesn't match the game lighting you're going to have some kind of unpredictable directional lighting not matching your in game lighting.

If you're going to render AO outside of MR you do a diffuse map with lights and shadows turned on and a VERY specific light setup aimed at giving you the same results or something that closely matches your in game lighting.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Psy-UK wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

What I'm really wondering is how you can achieve such clean results as that found in one of PhilipK's tutorials. IE, like this:

tilesold_ps_01a.jpg

Then you need to model your blocks like Philip has. On yours the detail is small and shallow. Adding larger chips and some deeper indentations will get you closer to Phillips bake.
    Also in that bake you can see that Philips bricks do not form a perfect flat surface, some of them are recessed into the wall.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    NOOOOoOOooo...
    Rendering out a complete map will get everything, diffuse, spec highlights and directional shadows. all stuff you don't want in your AO.
    If you're going to render AO outside of MR you do a diffuse map with lights and shadows turned on and a VERY specific light setup aimed at giving you the same results or something that closely matches your in game lighting.

Some (physics/graphics guys) argue that a skylight in a scene with a white lambert material, and some floor geometry is a more "true" representation of AO, depending on what you determine to be 'real'.

Sunlight, vs artificial computation of a white particle bouncing around the surface area.

imho, i prefer to use whichever you think looks better.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Only problem is sunlight isn't necessarilly the light that's affecting your scene. AO can get a more generic, less specialized version of that sort of look.

Sunlight will look fine in a sunlit scene with no varying light, it doesn't hold up if it's a street light lit scene (for example) as well.