Home Technical Talk

How to achieve crisp textures?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
reiro polycounter lvl 10
Hello Polycounters,

as the title suggests, this thread is about how to achieve that rly crips detail in lowres textures to avoid that blurry mess.
Therefore iam looking for crips and sharp brushes that seem to be hard to find.

To show you the problem i got with most ps bruhes:

crips_blurry.jpg

The crips one is a brush that stays even sharp if you size the texture up by 200%
However the blurry one is how most PS-Brushes out there behave. Right now i work around it to create a similar effect but it simply takes too much time.

1st QUESTION:
How do you create a sharp Brush like that or where can you find those?

2nd QUESTION:
Is it necessarily better using mostly sharp brushes for textures or is this just important when working 1:1 with lowres textures to avoid losing too much pixel infomation.

Atm i only use the more blurry brushes to break up the crispness or cleaness since you cant get sharpness back if not starting sharp.

Feel free to share your texture workflow and fave brushes.
Any thoughts and input on that matter is welcome.

Replies

• reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers.
    Yea probably the fastest way to make your own to fit your needs.
    Might post some examples once i improved my workflow.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    I prefer making twice greater (across X and Y) texture and then scale it down using advanced scaling solution. Benvista Photozoom Pro gives simply fantastic final quality of scaled texture! I could never get such sharp and detailed output using photoshop or any other resizer plugin. So forget about painting 1:1 textures - it doesn't worth time and efforts. IMHO for sure ;))
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i usually use smart sharpen filter, resize with nearest neighbor instead of bicubic (in some case!), levels for b&w stuff...
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    I prefer making twice greater (across X and Y) texture and then scale it down using advanced scaling solution. Benvista Photozoom Pro gives simply fantastic final quality of scaled texture! I could never get such sharp and detailed output using photoshop or any other resizer plugin. So forget about painting 1:1 textures - it doesn't worth time and efforts. IMHO for sure ;))

Are you from Benvista or you just like to advertise an amazing product? :)

So you think painting 1:1 isnt needed? The benefit in working 1:1 for me is that it makes me work more accurate. When working sized up i feel you tend to develop a sloppy style.
    Can you show some examples how it looks sized down with that program compared to PS? I think i might need to test it to confirm. I guess you see it with 1k to 2k textures if its sized down in PS. Its just not feeling as crisp, but might try that program you mentioned.

@Noors I didnt actually know about the smart sharpen, dunno how i missed it, always used unsharp mask. Seems to work quite well if sharpen is needed.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Ok tested both resize options in PS to see the actual effect of each.

nearest.jpg

This is zoomed in to an extreme to see what it actually does. I guess depends on your texture which algorithm you pick but i dislike having little control over the end result.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    A good tip if you want hard brushes is to paint with the pencil tool instead of brush. Works really well with some brushes but not quite so well with others.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Don't get lost in technical stuff like that, and just post your texture here! The problem might be something else than just the brush you are using, and we might be able to help.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    Don't get lost in technical stuff like that, and just post your texture here! The problem might be something else than just the brush you are using, and we might be able to help.

I actually would but iam not able to since i havent produced much outside of work lately. So obviously cant show any textures created due to copyright issues.

It actually helped a lot to know about these things mentioned here since i feel these were one of my particular problems since it slowed down my texturing process to keep it crisp and fitting to the rest of textures. As soon as i got something to show i ll just post it.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't know if this helps but maybe use Sharpen
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    n88tr wrote: »
    don't know if this helps but maybe use Sharpen

Yea the smart sharpen hint actually helped a lot since i wasnt aware of it. I always thought its the same as unsharpen but it seems to actually create the results i was looking for so iam happy to know about it now.

Will put everything new to use and post the results here.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro wrote: »
    Are you from Benvista or you just like to advertise an amazing product? :)

No, I'm not for sure! May be my words sound like an AD, but I'm just a great fan of this program =)
    Can you show some examples how it looks sized down with that program compared to PS? I think i might need to test it to confirm. I guess you see it with 1k to 2k textures if its sized down in PS. Its just not feeling as crisp, but might try that program you mentioned.

@Noors I didnt actually know about the smart sharpen, dunno how i missed it, always used unsharp mask. Seems to work quite well if sharpen is needed.

Ok, I spent some time trying to compile a visual comparison of different approaches to imagery downsizing.

Here's a test image from free Ornament collection. Original resolution is 1950x1323.

psa240023.jpg

I've chosen four areas of interest.

aoih.png

Left to right.
    1) Linear visual elements + smooth color transition are.
    2 and 3) Very fine details
    4) Texture of stone with mid and fine details.

Then I've resized the image to 295x200 (don't mind the non-square size of the image - it just an example) using 7 different algorithms.

pspzcomp.png

Now about the downsize approaches (top to bottom in the table).

1) PS bicubic - is a standard Photoshop solution since the very early releases. It's most popular and versatile.
    Gives smooth details - good for photography but not textures.

2) Since CS3 (? - I'm not sure) Photoshop received a new algorithm to create sharper downsize of photos. The result is much better than simple bicubic resize.

3) Another popular method to raise a sharpness of downsized image is to apply Unsharp mask filter before resizing. I've tried different setting and 4 px @ 90% seemed to me pretty good. But the negative effect of this approach is the undesired contrast contours around sharp details. It wouldn't hard a photo but texture gets odd visible outlines.

Next four algorithms (most useful IMHO) are from Photozoom Pro 4. There are several others, but not that nice.

4) Standard S-Spline Max Generic resizer gives even more blurry result than PS Bicubic. Not good.

5) S-Spline Max Photo Extra Detailed gives a bit sharper result than Generic (almost similar).

6) S-Spline XL Photo Extra Detailed gives very crisp details. May be useful for some noisy textures but in most cases gives odd coarse effect.

7) My favorite - S-Spline Max Graphics Extra Detailed. Gives the most adequate result with almost perfect balance of sharpness in contours and texture. It handles the tiniest details and lines in the image. Also it doesn't increase the contrast on the sharp edges.

You may agree or not that the last algorithm gives the best result of all but personally I find it most cool!

Anyway here you can see how different you downsized texture may look. And it feels sorry for getting your work look blurry and loose it's fine details.

Hope my little review will help =)

P.S. That's why I think that 1:1 texture creation is an anachronism. ))
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Very interesting results and thanks a bunch for sharing :)
    You made me curious so i ve to give it a shot.

Whats the biggest advantage for you to work double size and resize later?
    It surely takes more space, updates slower in the 3d package or realtime. And as stated i tend to work sloppier if i feel it gets sized down anyway.

I guess at the end of the day it doesnt rly matter if you work 1:1 or 2:1 as long as you feel comfy and the end result is nice.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess at the end of the day it doesnt rly matter if you work 1:1 or 2:1 as long as you feel comfy and the end result is nice.

I can't help agreeing ;) Also there's one positive side of 1:1 - the system resources. 2:2 needs 4 times more RAM than 1:1 and in some cases it's critical.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    I guess enough said on that matter :) I wont convince you to work 1:1 nor will i do only 2:2. In the future texture sizes prob will explode so this issue wont even exist anymore :)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The reason I prefer to work at 2x rez is that my assets will not just go into the 360/PS3 build of the game at the resolution I author them at.

The assets will be used in marketing, artbooks, and other non-game productions.
    The assets will be used in cutscenes.
    The assets will be used on the PC where you want to be able to tighten up the graphics.
    The memory budgets we have for textures may change, and all of the sudden I have an extra meg available. Or maybe I lose a meg. Either way, having higher resolution assets with which to work while I'm refactoring my stuff gives me more flexibility.

Working 1:1 gives you a better end result - I believe this strongly. The problem is that it is inflexible, and game development is anything but rigid.

Thanks for the scaling comparison, I agree that #7 looks the best.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    @Ghostscape

Yea that makes perfect sense. I guess it also depends on the studio and kinda game you work on. Different workflows, different usage of assets, FP/TP/Racing/RTS, platform etc.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also it depends on the artist's personal style of work. Someone prefers "pixelart"-style )) Others may find resolution independent texture painting better.
    Every man to his own taste.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Also it depends on the artist's personal style of work. Someone prefers "pixelart"-style )) Others may find resolution independent texture painting better.
    Every man to his own taste.

Word! :) Every man and woman, if they even exist in games.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I cant find this "S-Spline Max Graphics Extra Detailed" in PS is this from another program?
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an option from Photozoom Pro 4 - a standalone image resizing application.