Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jason B.

So, I'm a newer guy on these forums, and decided to start a sketchbook of my own.

I'll be posting my art as I finish it, or am done working on it, whichever happens first. I'll also be posting my thoughts and curiosities as they relate to my art.

I love hearing people's opinion on my work, and love even more when people can give me ideas and advice on how to improve my work. So, feel free to say what you think of the work as I post it.

I'm probably more modest than I should be, which can bite oneself in the butt. However, I still enjoy my art, and am starting to find it easier to take what's in here (taps on head) and put it into a visual format.

and without further ado, the first item I'm going to throw into this sketchbook:

dragon___red_by_ultimateharan-d3dvllr.jpg

This was a speed-painting I decided to do up, he's a recreation of a dragon I drew up in my paper sketchbook (just lines in that one). I spent a just over two and a half hours on it, still unsure if that's fast or slow when looking at it... I know one thing, he feels quite flat.

One thing I need to learn is how to add much more depth without losing detail. I think i'm half afraid if I use too dark and too bright that I'll lose detail, and people won't be able to know what I'm trying to portray.

anyways, I look forward to what people have to say, and hope my skills will be bettered because of it.
until next time
-H

Replies

• Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work:
    arm_walking_mouth_monster_by_ultimateharan-d3e3sb7.jpg

Don't really have a name for it. My aim was to get a stronger sense of depth on the character/creature.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Hey, if it hasn't happened already, welcome to Polycount :)

You've got some decent design going on, but I really think you need to do some studies about realizing 3d space in a 2d environment. That doesn't mean techniques like foreshortening, which you're getting the hang of, but moreover just making sure your composition feels solid and your characters feel like they have weight and that they actually occupy space.

Take your most recent post. It's an interesting concept, but he feels confined to the media you've chosen. Try doing more loose sketching and matching forms with fluid lines for a more natural, organic feel. Studying the way body shape lines intersect and interact with one another can really help muscle groups feel more defined. Really push anatomy study. Getting muscles away from blobby, balloon shapes into fat and muscle groups is one of the key things to making your monsters feel more realistic.

Another thing I'm noticing is you color theory in both shade and shadow. Your colors right now are diverse enough to give us a nice palette to look at, but the value's are all relatively the same. Try experimenting with more light and dark tones whenever you're coloring lest they get lost amongst each other. Also, your shadows don't really compliment the creature as a whole. Remember, areas without direct light are not always only affected by darkness. Radiant light from surrounding objects and even the rest of the body can reflect and impact the way a shadow is reacting on an object. Try and work with multiple light sources to really enhance the way your shadows play. Studying the ways that different colored lights also affect shadow colors can play a big part.

You're on the right track, but I really do think you need a lot of practice before these start looking really good. I didn't mean to bog you down with a wall of text, but it's always nice to have an outside opinion. You're doing great and I can't wait to see more of your work. Good luck :)
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the advice.
    but he feels confined to the media you've chose

what do you mean by that? Like, if I tried creating him in another way (say 3d) it wouldn't work right?
    Try doing more loose sketching and matching forms with fluid lines for a more natural, organic feel

sorry if I sound like an idiot, but what exactly do you mean? I haven't taken any form of art classes, save for a couple beginner classes in High School. do you mean more like sketching things as muscle groups, and then fitting the pieces together in a sense?

Sketching has always been a struggle for me, something about me is against leaving things in a raw state, like its incomplete. I know its OK to leave things "incomplete" when you're just sketching, but it still messes with me. I guess its just something I'll have to force on myself if I'm going to get better as an artist. the whole "knowing when to stop" factor.

anyways, thanks for all the great advice, definitely helped me figure out what I need to work on, since looking at it from just one perspective can sometimes skew the truth. I'll probably post up some sketching over the next few hours.
    -H
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Lol, I guess I just meant digital painting in general there.

As far as doing form sketches, I'd recommend a nice little book called Force ([ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Force-Dynamic-Life-Drawing-Animators/dp/0240808452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303006367&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Force-Dynamic-Life-Drawing-Animators/dp/0240808452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303006367&sr=1-1][/ame]) that really helps not only with perspective in a sense, but making drawing more about conveying emotion or a certain mood rather than just making something and putting it on paper. It's really helped me and I'm sure you may benefit from it as well.

Having taken no formal classes, you're getting along pretty well. Just keep at it and find something that really drives your passion for creating new things. Nothing better than fresh inspiration.
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not one who really earns a lot of money, not that the books are expensive, but I'm not really in a position where I can actively purchase material to study. and of course, my current plans on my next source of income is some sort of freelancing, but of course, if i'm at that point, I'll probably be good enough to where I don't need as many books...

at any rate, I'll definitely be prodding my brain to go further into detail with my creations. as for inspiration, I don't really know what inspires me, I just suddenly get images in my head and try to draw them out. I think I need to start setting themes for myself to work with in order to start focusing my creativity.
    -H
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some doodles:

atlantean_resident_sketches_by_ultimateharan-d3earc1.jpg

I've decided to do sets of work which all have the same theme (like 5 or so). The first theme I've decided to do is Atlantis. My thoughts is that it would be a technologically advanced place, but not the bubble dome some people depict it as. I see it as more like they would have created technology that would allow them easier transport through the waters, as well as give themselves oxygen. these doodles are my attempt to start getting ideas in my head of what the typical resident would be wearing.
    -H
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More doodles:
    fishmen_doodles_by_ultimateharan-d3edn3o.jpg

I'm starting to get a more solid idea in my head rather than the "originals lived" scenario.