Home Technical Talk

Rendering High Poly Sculpts

Hi there. I'm trying to make a brick wall using bricks sculpted in Mudbox, imported into 3DS Max, and instanced to create the actual wall. The problem I'm having is that the scanline renderer will cause everything on my computer to freeze up when I attempt to bake out a map. It's get so far and then the memory usage will surge up to over 2.5GB

Now, it seems pretty obvious why. Each brick is just over 250k polies each, so when I have lots of them all together the poly count starts to add up and...that's not good.

However I see see tutorials like this which don't mention anything about decimation yet it appears that the objects can be baked out fine. :\

So what would be the best thing to do? Decimate the brick down to a more manageable size or what?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decimate or get more ram =P

And of course, model a few variants, like 4-8 unique bricks, with unique detailing on each side, and then instance and rotate the instances for variation.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I don't know what version of max you're using but here's some solutions that could work in max 2010:

1) In the rendering dialog box go to the "render setup" dialog, click on the "renderer" tab, then check the "conserve memory" checkbox. It's down the bottom.

2) Don't use the scanline renderer. Use mental ray instead. It sometimes is more efficient with ram usage and I've used it to render stuff that's crashed the scanline renderer.
  • Psy-UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applied an optimiser modifier and rendered with MR without a hitch. Danke all.