Home Technical Talk

normals issue

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Me again, I know right already,

So I got a small problem with a 900,000+ triangle model straight down the center there is this normals issue how do I fix It? I tried to do the fliped normals or unify option in max, didn't work. Is there anyway to export out to a format that would correct this, is there any solution?
Any assistance would be great thanks.

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    You should post the whole model and the cage you used for the projection. And/or any other material that could help us out figuring what's going on :P

For all we know, if this is a symmetrical mesh and you only baked half, it could mean you left a small space there.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Invert Y channel and/or rebake the normal but without the mesh cut in half. You can also see if you have flipped normals in either case. High poly mesh which overlap (EI: Clayed in ZB to close seams) can cause nasty problem such as this.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    This is the High poly mesh not a normal bake down this is why I said: this 900,000+ triangle model, I was able to flip her stomach normals back but the rest this huge line that goes all the way around her is still there... and I was trying to find a good solution to flip actual model normals not bakes. Thanks though guys.

EDIT:
    mirroring an entire highpoly sculpt mesh, if you run into problems:
    Magic I sorted It out on my own, again.:poly124:
    Delete half, select entire middle edge, align to x pull slightly off x, align x to 0 again (didn't move for me), mirror copy, align both middle connecting edges again to x to create one, weld edges at 0.001, go to soft select, relax 0.5 few times till satisfied.
    Done.

Also:
    Unify normals 2011 script spot!
    didn't try this out but It was on my list of things to do, at least I know how to prevent and handle these issues in the future, hurray for me:poly117:.

I ran into this issue cause zbrush's symmetry modifier kept doing some funny things to my mesh & when I went to topogun the model was off at the hands...