Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Driller polypainting drives me crazy

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
SunSetter polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,

I did this creature last year in zbrush but now I want a low poly version. The problem is as soon as I start polypainting in zbrush I found myself with a bunch of color versions but at the end of the day i could not choose one, they are all stupid colors variations.

I've attached a white version and the best diffuse so far.
clr_prb.jpg

I tried something zerg-ish as this is the direction I wanted to go with but I have a hardtime picking the right colors.

Maybe you can give me some advice or some tuts out there on how to blend colors and such...

Thanks

Replies

• blackwaffle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Find a good picture of a zergling or such and open it up in photoshop. Start using the eyedropper to pick colors--brush a bit onto a new layer. Keep eyedropping colors and building your palette until you got a lot of good bases. Then, take your colors, and start painting! GREAT SUCCESS!

lalalafy.jpg

Also note where colors work--green on the hard, scaly parts, tan on the skin elements, and red for the raw pieces. Just let your sculpt help you decide where to put colors.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Even more important than colour, sometimes, is material definition and diversity. I'm not sure if specularity is something you can control in polypaint, but if you can, you should definitely put some variety in there. Making the more fleshy bits look a bit rubbery with selectively wet regions, or giving the spines a broader highlight...
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    Cool mesh. Definitely needs color variation. You can use the same method here for materials http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/tutorial.php?lesson=joseph and clone the same toy plastic and adjust it's settings to get different specular results or you can tweak any other materials and paint each unique mat caps on the model instead of the image plane.

Keep up the good work.
  • BCos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BCos polycounter lvl 7
    scott spencer's video on polypainting skin is pretty helpful. there is no narration, but basically you just need to start with highly saturated complimentary colors, and work them into different areas, then go in with alphas/little strokes of white or some other color to slowly desaturate them into one another. gives a good final result if done right, definitely takes a few passes for best results however.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v851708WcEQPerQ
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,
    I really appreciated, now I'll watch all those videos and start redoing my colors :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Lol^ I like this Zerg color theory you speak of :p

Nice critter- really bizarre.
    As far as re-topo tools I can`t recommend 3dsmax`s standard "freeform" tools within "graphite modeling tools" feature. If you can get past the clunky interface, learn the shortcuts, you`ll have that thing re-topolagized in under an hour at worst.
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a low(medium) poly version done in 3d max. the tools for retopo are useful but not the best out there. I choose to stay with max for retopo because I hate to have a different program for every task. programs like topogun and 3d coat are maybe faster.
    konstruct wrote: »
    Lol^ I like this Zerg color theory you speak of :p

Nice critter- really bizarre.
    As far as re-topo tools I can`t recommend 3dsmax`s standard "freeform" tools within "graphite modeling tools" feature. If you can get past the clunky interface, learn the shortcuts, you`ll have that thing re-topolagized in under an hour at worst.
  • SunSetter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Although I not happy with the result this is the color scheme. C&C are very very welcome.
    Now I'm moving to the unwrap part to test the new 3d max 2012 features :)

Ignore the spec on that :

new.jpg

this is just for the color variation in the model, flat shading :

flat.jpg