Home› Technical Talk

Zapplink and Zbrush help

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello I am new to zbrush and I Was trying to texturize a head , now the problem I have by using zapplink is that I do not know how to save the texture data that I painted on the head thgourhgt going up and down from PS and Zbrush , in the beginning I created a new texture 2048 x 2048 but as long as I paint in it doesn't get updated and stays white ... how do I do ?

Replies

• Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after you create the uvs,
    go to texture -> create new texture (will fill object with color selected)
    do your zapp stuff when you return from photoshop to zbrush it will ask to accept layer edits, hit yes (I always collapse all layers to just the 3 orignial layers, and 'preserve' the mask on the middle layer (the only one you should be changing) in ps). rise and repeat the zapp texturing.

DONE :)

just clone the texture when done, then export.
    (if poly painting new texture form polypaint etc)

if your baking base texture to low poly just make sure you flip the exported map in v before.

hope that helps

edit: don't forget to save in ps before returning to zbrush.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    And in image form:
    zapplink.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I lost 4 hours of work couse the texture I did put on left didn't update while working why didn't update?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok this was my workflow :

1 resize the document to 2048 2048

2 create new texture 2048 2048

3 clone texture

4 import model

5 subdivide 2 times model

6 press zprojection

7 press Zaplink

8 go in photoshop and there add new layer over the one with the mask , paint a bit , move the mask upper to preserve then merge down the edited layer with the one that previously had the mask and then reput the mask back on that layer aand save and go to Zbrush again

8 I press save all edits ...

9 the mesh updates its texture in the viewport but the cloned texture

10 press zprojection and pick up

11 the texture didnt update !
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm not understanding your workflow at all to be honest (like creating and cloning the texture before the model is even imported?).

1 ) Open zbrush. Set document size to whatever you want (doesn't have to be texture res)
    2 ) Import model with UVs (or create UVs in zbrush)
    3 ) Create new texture in zbrush using Tools:TextureMap:New Txtr
    4 ) Document: Zapplink: Drop Now
    5 ) Don't touch the layer with the mask. Paint on a new layer above it, and merge that layer down when you're done (ctrl+e). Preserve the mask when the dialog box asks. Save.
    5b) Optional, but I always copy the result to a new photoshop document just in case I have to go back to that view again
    6 ) Go back to Zbrush. Zapplink should detect that changes were made and saved. Click to re-enter zbrush
    7 ) The texture map in zbrush will update with the result. Keep doing this until you're done and happy.
    8 ) Clone the texture (Tools: TextureMap: Clone Txtr) and export it as a .psd from the Texture Pallette.

If you're using a texture, subdivision doesn't matter. It would only help with polypaint.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't clone the texture until your finished texturing. your only cloning to export the texture map.
    I'm too lazy too check but that could be the problem there, as i believe zbrush applies the cloned texture to the object. (so your object applies the old coned texture, not updated).
    just turn it off (select nothing under the texture menu). You should still have the new painted info (tool menu-> texture map) that should show the new edits. so nothing lost.

I don't really follow what you say you do in ps - but as long as your document when you save looks like cryrid'a image, your fine.

another how to link:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=30015

or just follow cryrid's image breakdown to the tee and you'll get it :)

haha - I type tooo slooooow - just follow what cryrid said...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok thankyou very much to everyone , may be I followed an old tutorial on zapplink and older zbrush version?

in the tutorial asks to pass throught aprojection , while instead in the steps you posted above there is no zprojection passage so I can skip that?
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using 3.5r - I hit 'g' (projection master) then sft+ctr+s (zapp) i don't know if this is different in different versions.
    I don't know if it makes a difference....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm using 3.5r - I hit 'g' (projection master) then sft+ctr+s (zapp) i don't know if this is different in different versions.
    V4 doesn't require Projection Master to be used first (/at all; I think Zapplink does it automatically).
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I see I was learning it with 3.5 and then I was trying z4 and didnt work well I guess...