Home Technical Talk

3DS Max + dual Monitors

So I recently picked up a second monitor. I now have a 22" and a 24" Samsung. One issue I'm having is that I can only use 3ds max on ONE monitor. If I try to use it on the other monitor, I am unable to pan as once I do so, the cursor will fly to the other end of the screen.

I'm using 3ds max 2011, and have also tried 2012 trial to see if this is the issue. Any ideas how I could go about fixing this?

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Hmmm, not so sure on a permenent fi for both but if you prefer it on the other monitor perhaps switching the primary display settings will help?
  • couto607
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that's what I've been doing so far. But I'd like to try spreading it across both monitors.

A couple of my friends also have 2 monitors, yet they never had this issue. They've no clue how to fix it.
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive got the same issue....
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    wait, are you saying you are trying to stretch the actual max window (the blue thingie at the top of every window) across two monitors ?

Don't do that. Simply maximize the program on your main monitor and put your floating windows on the secondary. You can also undock the toolbar on the right (with the modifier panel, the hierarchy panel, the stack, and so on) by right clicking on it.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    wait, are you saying you are trying to stretch the actual max window (the blue thingie at the top of every window) across two monitors ?

Don't do that. Simply maximize the program on your main monitor and put your floating windows on the secondary. You can also undock the toolbar on the right (with the modifier panel, the hierarchy panel, the stack, and so on) by right clicking on it.

^ I second this. Trying to stretch max with 2 monitors is a big no-no.

Model on the first monitor, and keep the second one for material editor, uvw editor, and the modifier panel on the second one.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    is there much point i would see having my view port stretched across to monitors more of a annoyance just use the 2nd monitor for your material editor, uv editor and and floating dialog you got going and references.

i tend to mostly use the end moniters for reference images.
  • Swiss Cheese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize this is a three month old thread. but, I figured this information might still be of some use to someone. I recently built a new machine and decided to go multiple GPUs and Monitors. I’m listing my GPU’s specs and drivers in case they make a difference.
    GPU 2X: Nvidia GTX 460 2GB
    Driver Ver. 275.33
    Nvidia Control Panel Ver. 3.7.730.01
    I’m using 3DS Max 2010 64bit

In the Nvidia Control Panel you have the option to setup multiple monitors. I currently am using three with a fourth on the way. Control Panel allows you to place your monitors in virtually any configuration. The configurations are based on the monitor you select as the primary monitor.
    What I have found is that if I position any of my monitors to the left or to the top of the Primary monitor and try and run 3DS Max from them I will have a problem with the (Pan View) tool Snapping back to the corresponding area on the Primary monitor, with no way to return to the monitor Max is running on while still holding down the Pan View. If I position them to the bottom or to the right of the primary monitor this problem does not occur. At first I thought this might be some kind of a mapping issue with my WACOM tablet but that didn’t end up being the case. If for some reason it’s not convenient to have your monitors to the bottom or right of your primary monitor then you can always choose to run max from the primary monitor. I use several applications and so far 3DS Max’s Pan View tool is the only issue I’ve had with any of them.

Good Luck I hope this helps

Swiss Cheese
  • Swiss Cheese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize this is a three month old thread. but, I figured this information might still be of some use to someone. I recently built a new machine and decided to go multiple GPUs and Monitors. I’m listing my GPU’s specs and drivers in case they make a difference.
    GPU 2X: Nvidia GTX 460 2GB
    Driver Ver. 275.33
    Nvidia Control Panel Ver. 3.7.730.01
    I’m using 3DS Max 2010 64bit

In the Nvidia Control Panel you have the option to setup multiple monitors. I currently am using three with a fourth on the way. Control Panel allows you to place your monitors in virtually any configuration. The configurations are based on the monitor you select as the primary monitor.
    What I have found is that if I position any of my monitors to the left or to the top of the Primary monitor and try and run 3DS Max from them I will have a problem with the (Pan View) tool Snapping back to the corresponding area on the Primary monitor, with no way to return to the monitor Max is running on while still holding down the Pan View. If I position them to the bottom or to the right of the primary monitor this problem does not occur. At first I thought this might be some kind of a mapping issue with my WACOM tablet but that didn’t end up being the case. If for some reason it’s not convenient to have your monitors to the bottom or right of your primary monitor then you can always choose to run max from the primary monitor. I use several applications and so far 3DS Max’s Pan View tool is the only issue I’ve had with any of them.

Good Luck I hope this helps

Swiss Cheese
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry to Necro this thread, but I just got a second monitor. I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the UV/material windows default to the second monitor at a custom size when you open them.

It is a little annoying having to keep moving them over and re-sizing them, especially uving tons of meshes!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    For the unwrap window, move it to the second monitor and go to Options > Save Current Settings as Default. You can also open this file:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2014 - 64bit\ENU\plugcfg_ln\unwrapuvw.ini

And edit these values:
    WindposX1=XXX
    WindposY1=XXX
    WindposX2=XXX
    WindposY2=XXX

The Slate Material Editor should save it's position and size. At least it does for me. But there is an INI in the same folder for that too. (SME.ini)
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers, that worked great, thankyou! :)