Home Technical Talk

Compostion Software? Which one?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I'm having a debate currently, and it goes like this:

"Sex, needed, or overrated waste of time? Discuss".

OK, seriously now, I'm having problems trying to understand which software I could use for some really easy to do Compositions when it comes to movie finalization.

For example, I used currently Combustion 2008, which felt a mix of Windows Media Player, After-Effects and Nuke in one, plus a colleague of mine gave me a plethora of extended plugins to use with Combustion.

However, to certain demands, the lack of 64 bit is becoming my biggest issue (don't have an SSD Drive, so I had bump up my RAM instead) and this is a bottleneck for me.

A friend of mine told that Composite from Autodesk will serve my need, but the general opinion so far is that Composite is a far cry from Combustion, while on the other hand, Nuke is too narrow to software for specific things.

Lastly, After Effects, but I haven't delved too much into it since it's an Adobe product, so I know it's atleast is production proven, plus the number of plugins that pop-out routinely...well...common.

So which one is generally a more stable and broad experience? I would love to avoid as many plugins as possible, and for it to be a robust software, so that would appreciated.

Also, I forgot to mention, a guy from WETA told us that After-Effects is more 'standard' for the industry, and we make it part of our 'skill' set, even just small part, it will prove helpful in the long run.

Cheers and ciao.

PS: I still would like an answer to my first question, no skimping on that!