Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cryo Room - UDK Environment

First thread on PC, trying to build up a portfolio and so I'm working on a small environment I plan on bringing into UDK.

I was trolling CGHUB and found this awesome concept art and immediately decided I wanted to bring it to life in 3D (you can find it here):

275_large.jpg

At the moment I am just blocking in main forms. After that, I will detail the main asset which is the cryo-chamber itself. Then I'll detail the floor, ceiling, and the back wall with the big blast door.

I'd appreciate any crits on the overall proportions thus far. Once I feel it's ok, I'll bring it into UDK and check it out there.

CryoRoom_WIP_01.jpg

CryoRoom_ScreenGrab_01.jpg

I am not sure about all the little wires between the cryo-chambers and the control box above them. The chambers themselves are supposed to be able to slide down through the floor on the rails, so I'm not sure what the deal with those wires is, they don't look quick-release to me. Also, I don't know how I'd be able to implement them in UDK without them looking like crap. I'm thinking of switching them out for two or three wire-bundles or maybe even just some plain tubes since in my head these are the tubes that feed the cooling gas into the chamber.

Replies

• bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm about done with the block-out. I've tweaked the proportions to better match the concept and I'm pretty happy with them at the moment, but maybe someone else will see something I can't. I added in the background geometry and removed the teeny wires and replaced them with some rotating magnetic clamps on the sides of the cryo-chambers that will hold the tanks and place as well as pump cooling gas into them.

CryoRoom_WIP_02.jpg

At this point, I may either take the whole thing into unreal and start figuring out my lighting or I may start modeling the HP cryo-tank, not sure which yet.
  • Killcreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killcreek polycounter lvl 14
    Checkout the movie Pandorum. There is a very similarly set up room where a good portion of the movie takes place.
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do that. Looks like Netflix streams it. :p
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, looking foward to an update.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow everything looks great, I'm also looking forward to more!

not sure if you did this intentionally or not, but in the concept the cable crawls up the wall and plugs into the middle left cryo-chamber, your's goes past it. I only bring it up because it's pretty much the only difference I see that you didn't already explain as being intentional.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    There's something to be careful about, which is also bad in the concept art imho, the lack of an intersting focal point. You'd guess it has something to do with the room we see through the door, but there's nothing interesting there, at all for the moment.

A closed door might do better in fact.
  • Killcreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killcreek polycounter lvl 14
    ParoXum wrote: »
    There's something to be careful about, which is also bad in the concept art imho, the lack of an intersting focal point. You'd guess it has something to do with the room we see through the door, but there's nothing interesting there, at all for the moment.

A closed door might do better in fact.

Or maybe some kind of hanging array of displays with statistics from each pod?
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

@ConorW: You're absolutely right, I didn't eve notice that in the concept image until I upped the brightness level about a billion. I'll definitely change that.

@ParoXum: That's a very good point, my wife actually pointed it out to me yesterday; the massive lighting contrast draws your eyes to the open doorway but there's nothing there. I'm definitely going to tone down the contrast there and try to make the open tank the focal point, add something like writing in blood on the inside, not sure yet, maybe change the blue screen above the door to a red alarm beacon or somesuch. The most important asset in the scene will be the cryo-tank unit, so it'd be nice if that's what people's attention is drawn to.