Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

|Technical Project| - UDK Hologram Shaders

Hey polycount! quite green on these forums!
I'm embarking on a self taught project along with my University work in the UK and it will be a project based solely in UDK. It will be the creation of complex holographic shaders using the available tools and features of UDK.

What inspired me in this project? - Science fiction mainly got me hooked into this project, especially with the release of recent titles such as Mass Effect 2, Iron Man 2 and Avatar which all feature super awesome looking holograms.

I'm hoping to recreate some of these effects into a custom shader in the UDK material editor, which can then be used in conjunction with another material (or 3D mesh) and even feature some dynamic elements such as movement and activation with the help of kismet.

I'm currently working on a 3D environment to display these holograms as shown below. (Some fans may notice the similarities from this and the beginning of Mass Effect 2) - The environment is far from finished but the modelling is almost complete. I most likely won't be texturing this though as it's more based on the shaders.

FYP_ScienceLab.jpg

I've been working hard from January onwards building these shaders based upon some research from different artists and unreal techniques etc. Here is a short video of the holograms that I have so far...

http://youtu.be/KxIfH2rU5Z0

Now here are some closeups of three instances I have of them..

MatInst1.JPG

MatInst2.JPG

MatInstance3.JPG

I was hoping that somebody could give me some critique on my work so far.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies