Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AtlusZMH's new Portfolio(Env/Prop Artist)

Hey PC, my girlfriend just finished building my new portfolio site and now I'm throwing it to the dogs and asking for critiques! This is what i'm aiming to send around to land my first studio gig, so please give me some good crits on anything you can think of!

I have a lot of guns, as thats what ive been getting for freelance, but i plan on updating it and refreshing it as new projects roll in. But feel free to also critique functionality and design if anything strikes you as funky, we'd love to change it to make it more user-friendly :D

Anyway, here it is!

www.zachhahn3d.com

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Kinda like the wireframe overlay thingy.

I say, bigger images all over and texture flats. All of them (: Then you got some normal issues on the green gun for example.. Maybe something to look over..

Otherwise i think the overall design is cool (:
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh, the wire-frame overlay is really cool. I like that you're hit with art right off the bat.

I would maybe make some of the images larger and reserve the lightbox for really big stuff?

I agree with the needs for flats and maybe make the model info (tri-count, map size, etc.) larger, I almost missed it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    flats and larger images and tri counts will really help this along
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I dig it. That wireframe thing is snazzy. Might remove the modular wall though, since it's pretty much exactly Peris' tutorial:
    http://www.brameulaers.com/tutorials/generic_wall_tutorial/generic_wall_tutorial.html

Don't know about the Temple Door or the Raging Bull. The Raging Bull's texture doesn't look finished and the Temple Door isn't as strong as the other weapons.

Like said above, flats would be good to show too.

This one is just personal taste, but I don't like when I click resume and it goes straight to the pdf, maybe have it go to a page that has the resume, then a separate, obvious link there to download it as a pdf. But that's just me.

For the resume, get rid of the UPS listing on your resume too, maybe even the GameCrazy ref too. Did you graduate from AI? If so, list your degree. If not, I'm not sure putting that there is a good thing, unless you really put more than just "Modeling, Texturing." Describe projects as if they were freelance jobs.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    none of the weapon textures look finished. you have generic materials and no large shapes, with noise in its place to make it "detailed". so bland! not to mention the revolver is just white...

the jungle door looks like it's covered in cheeto dust. sorry, but i'm just being honest. do you have any references you built this on so i can see the materials you were trying to represent? it looks like you were trying to make stone with some sort of primitive cavemane paint on there, but you didn't look at enough material reference and instead opted to make it from memory.

the site itself looks fine. it's simple enough, though i'd go with a less intrusive font.
  • Dynamiks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice art. However, the slider (render/wireframe) is the one that took my attention :) Would you share a secret or a script on how to make it on the website? Tnx in advance!
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's actually just the Before/After jQuery plug-in made by CatchMyFrame, easy to find with google. It's a really cool effect.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonds is right :) heres the link for you less advantageous types!
    http://www.catchmyfame.com/2009/06/25/jquery-beforeafter-plugin/

Not really much magic to be had, but still a really cool script :)

It even works on my phone browser :P

Thanks everyone for all the crits. I'll be working on uploading larger shots and flats today for sure. Also Racer, do you have any tips or tutorials in particular that you know of that could help me out texture-wise?

I've seen a few, but a lot of the textures have been me just trying new things and seeing how they turn out haha if you could elaborate on the larger shapes as opposed to noise, that would be excellent!

I agree the door and modular wall are the weakest things on there, and I plan on reworking and revamping the door for sure as its part of a larger scene i'm working on.

thanks again! and keep the crits comin!
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've already plugged this elsewhere, but Racer himself has a tutorial on CGTuts+ about hand-painting metal textures, it's certainly applicable to weapons and such.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

Another CGTuts+ tutorial, this one by Xoliul, has some info on hand-painting metal textures as part of a larger next-gen hot-rod project.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/creating-a-next-gen-video-game-hot-rod-the-complete-workflow-day-8/

On the not-free side of things, I would definitely recommend Eat3D's next-gen texturing DVD, http://eat3d.com/texturing . Riki goes into creating textures for metal, concrete, wood and some other materials using a combination of photo-sourcing and hand-painting techniques.

I'm sure there's other great stuff out there. One thing I like to do sometimes is try and create procedural textures in my modeling software (modo in my case) on the high-poly and then bake out the diffuse to my low-poly and use that as a starting point in Photoshop. You can get some really realistic-looking procedural shaders that work as a good jump-off point when painting your textures in Photoshop.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks a lot for those links :) Just watched racer's tut.. very informative :D I'll give it a go soon!
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    that wireframe slider is boss!
  • noname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noname polycounter lvl 10
    Your header should be a link to the index page imo.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so the images are now larger, and the texture flats are uploaded :) may take a reload to kick in :) thanks again for all the suggestions, we are working on getting some functionality to let people go straight from one model to the next without going home next.

once again. keep the crits rolling! I want this to be as good as i can get it!
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, took a few days and got a lot of revamping done :) Got a bar on the side linking to all the different pages, updated the resume, and added larger pics and flats!

Let me know what you think of the new stuff!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    the flats are kinda awful imo.
    If your going to put multiple types in one frame (which I have been told by all the big studios is a bad idea, yeah mine are setup that way too) do it in a way thats organized, not just have like a rim on the top/right be the normal and the rest diffuse.
    TBH just do them separately, im going to be doing that from now on myself.
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That wireframe tool is damn sexy! Ghastly text on the first page though.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome wireframe tool! Also the site is nice, clean and easy to navigate, I'm not a fan of lightbox but I think thats more of a personal preference.

The textures on most of your stuff seem to lack medium level detail. You have clean normal bakes and a good amount of noise, but are lacking in medium level detail, something to really define the different shapes in your models and weapons.

The way the texture flats are presented could use some work, maybe showing about equal space for each type of texture map (dif, normal, spec). Also I wouldn't overlay the wireframe over the whole texture flat it obscures the details that you painted on your textures, which I always like to see on the flats.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, got my texture flats sorted out and added a new gun!

Woo!

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Just sent this out to a few studios.. we'll see how it goes <.< >.>

As always, if you have anymore crits, please let me know!

www.ZachHahn3D.com
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    just for the record, guns only folios are kinda boring... :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know :( Its the only work I've gotten lately, I have a concept artist drawin up a sweet temple scene for me to model, but for now guns are all i got recent :E