Home Technical Talk

Zbrush + Model in parts

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Probably old news but how do I sort out a separated model into a complete model if It was in parts, example: modeling a head then attaching It to the body? Leave It as a floating object or should It be a single object when dealing with the human form.

I am talking bout the highpoly detail for a normal map, I got a low poly that I want to project the highpoly on.

First time I've done this so if It's answered somewhere my fault for posting but I need help.
Thanks P.C.

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Well, that really depends. You could certainly model the head seperately but it's a bad idea if you're character doesn't have some kind of clothing or armour that you can use to cover the seam.

Could you tell us a little more about the model you're going to do? Post a pick of the concept and the low poly?

It's also worth noting that most people going Base Mesh -> High Poly -> Retopologized Low Poly. A base mesh is a model made up almost entirely of quads so finished character models don't usually make good base meshes.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for posting Feanix, I sort of figured It out, took all day but It's fine and done.

If you ever model a separate object and have no way out I did this with a head and body, though the base mesh had a placement for head details but oddness happened and I decided to make a separate object and test head that I liked too much to throw away, anyway. So the base was still a whole object throughout the whole process.

I took the highpoly the one with no details in the face added the separate object FACE with details to the head where the face would have been. I smashed in the high base area were the face would be then using the face detail as a covering mask -not the option in zbrush- an actual mask so It looked like she was wearing an inlay of a space suit covered all the holes up with her skin around the face.

Did what you would normally do with a high and lowpoly base to get It's details, though I changed the projection setting to -0.07 and the max strip lenghts to either 35-50, It needed some slight editing but It worked out for me.

Never again, so forewarning never do anything this way.
    I some how manage to always make personal projects harder on myself, It's a curse..
  • Arthaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthaven polycounter lvl 8
    Never say never. :) Sometimes building in pieces is a much better and faster way than having to manage all of those polys at the same time (especially when subdividing). I've definitely learned that there doesn't seem to be one rule to follow for everything, it's all situation based and usually more complex than what you would want it to be.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, that's a good result! Not the way I would have done it but it works! :D