polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
latest update:
podPresentation1.jpg
podPresentation2.jpg
podPresentation3.jpg

sup!
Im doing some more props and some environment stuff so I have that in my portfolio, even though i wanna be a character guy. So I thought id combine the two and do a small UDK Scene with some crazy mutation experiments. The plan is to have a lot of different mutations and some real traces of experiments, like an opened up mutant at a table, body parts on the floor and stuff like that.

Saw alien 4 a couple of days ago and i really liked the mood and different types of alien mutation experiments there. Started with this yesterday and im going to work on this during the weekends end whenever i have time after work.

I know the baby is kinda weak, specially hands and arms. Im going to do a lot more on him but ill happily take any C&C.

mutant1.jpg
mutant2.jpg

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    The prop looks awesome so far dude! I really like the design of it, and I know you said the baby/fetus wasn't finished yet but I'm really diggin it so far too, I like the concept of it and how you mutated it. No crits from me, keep goin, will be watching this one :)
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jordan =)
    ive been working a little with the mutant today, trying out some different stuff. changed the face to make it more human, want to focus on the fact that whoever's doing these crazy experiments are doing them on humans and cross-breeding them with something.

Id love to get some feedback on that though, which one do you guys like best. I guess i also could use both as variations as I am going to have like 6-7 in tubes and a few on beds. Though i would make them more different than they are right now.

mutant4.jpg

and this is a small sketch of things i want to add to the pods
    mutant3.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    this is gunna be sickkk
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, more variation in the mutated fetuses is totally needed. Mutation process is probably highly chaotic and i can't imagine how they could look so similar as now :)
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    this is gunna be sickkk

In both senses of the word.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    digging the panels man, maybe have one tank without a baby and possibly drained? as if its done that portion of its experiment or at least died during it, just loose wires/cords dangling in the fluid would break things up a bit and add a little something something ; )
  • janeil24kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janeil24kid polycounter lvl 6
    looks cool.. the baby reminds me of a hydralisk on SC2. heheheh XD
    http://qtan.homestead.com/hydralisk.html
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First thing that sprang to mind was Alien: Resurrection - the lab where they have all of the dead hybrid foetuses and that one living one.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks all for the ideas. I really like one empty tank with the fluid gone.
    And yes, it's very alien-esq. Watched the Movie last week and thought it was a really sexy scene. My first mutant is basically the same as the first one you see in the labs there.

So I downloaded Udk and started blocking things up. Really simple so I didn't take any pics. Hopefully Will get some more done tonight and post some pics.
    I want this to be sort of a playable level, I mean it's a portfolio piece first and foremost bu if I could turn it into a playable "level" with a little atmosphere and mood that would be awesome. I've come up with a story based on a project me and a friend of mine started on a few months back:

Something has gone wrong on a remote scientific base. We lost contact with the base a few days ago and we've just learned that the facility was destroyed, cause unknown. That facility was a significant investment and several of those project were high-priority for the government. There is no way to know what happened since the explosion wiped out all traces. However, new experimental tech allows a single person to travel back to a single instant in time and move around in this frozen moment. The player is chosen to go back in time and by studying the environment is supposed to figure out what happened. This experiment tech is unstable which results in sometimes moving outside the frozen moment and interacting with objects and people around him. (this frozen moment thing is to mainly remove animations and narrow the scope, to make it more of a visual experience instead of gameplay focused. Although I'd like animations just to add some life to this thing ) so its going to be a bunch of mutants in cool poses, frozen in mid air, and maybe some scientists trying to survive.

Will probably cut some stuff out as this keeps on evolving but that's the vision. Sorry for text instead of pics :P
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update:
    made some wires and started a little with the floor. Also going to add some crazy nice pipes in the background.
    mutant5.jpg
    mutant6.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    dude those wires are intense! Cant wait to see it finished!
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work so far, looking forward to your progress.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update tonight, bigger update tomorrow.
    Started with some pipes but im not really digging it. Feels a bit cluttered. Im leaning towards making this an underground facility and I want to have some stone in the background. Sort of cave like with uneven walls and everything sort of converges over your head.

But hopefully ill zbrush some of the stone tomorrow and start with another mutation. Going to be very Alien 4-ish. By the end of the weekend ill probably have a low poly version of the tank too.
    picz:
    mutant7.jpg
    mutant9.jpg
    mutant8.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont think it will appear all that cluttered once you factor in the different textures, and that the panels will emit light that will draw attention away from those pipes any maybe cast some shadows?

but then again your the man with the vision lol im curious to see how the cave idea would look
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you're right candy, ill add the pipes for now at least and try to downplay them with texture and lighting further on. Ty

Update:
    Tried some different rock ideas on the background but they didnt really turn out well, going to give it a serious go tomorrow so no updates on those. And i have finished a concept for the next mutant, so that is definitely going to happen this weekend.

Started blocking out the rest of the environment. Going for an underground thing. Kinda the same thing as the place where wolverine got his claws from the x-men movies. Also thought about making this some kind of nazi experiment. It would be a facility where he tried to create the perfect race. But a little more modern than the 1940's.
    Placed some banners where i might hang some swastikas.

But thats just a thought, might hang some random evil corporation logo there instead who are doing experiments just to make some money.
    mutant10.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    oooh and suddenly it all becomes unfocused..

[edit] what i mean is that now it's gone from this awesome showcase of some super cool tech stuff, into a giant room that is going to look cluttered as fuck if you try and match the detail from the bio-egg-tube-things to the rest of the scene.
    i presume it's inspired by the viewing galleries in surgery theatres:

Ninewellstheatre.jpg

these rooms are usually pretty small and sparsely detailed. but you have this fantastic fine detail and i'm not sure how well it'll fit into such a large and open scene.

hopefully i am completely wrong and it turns out beautiful, very interested in seeing what you do with it.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with Rick.
    Also, i really love the work so far! Cools stuff! :)
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first of all: like the avatar rick :P

second: i think you guys are right. After thinking it over it would be nice to narrow the scope of this project to just one shot. At least for now. Thanks for that.
    So this is basically what im doing now :P
    mutant11.jpg
    mutant12.jpg
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blast from the past! So i started this a few months back and then I got slammed with work but I went back and checked and I had done the low poly and the bakes for it. So I started texturing. The thing is, i dont really know what colours to choose.

So if you have any ideas, i would like them. paintovers appreciated =)
    Btw, I know the wires looks weird and low poly, I just took the high poly ones that looked awesome and reduced them just to get the feel, will adress it as well as add the top level wires from the first series of pictures =) And i know a lot of the textures arent good, the specc is just a metal texture with the messed up levels, going to redo that completely. Mainly interested in cool colours now. But if you have any feedback, ill take that too.
    pod3.jpg

So, I had planned to do some sort of green liquid with a mutant inside but then i found a nice concept of a cryo tank and started playing with that. But I am not set on anything so if you have any ideas id love to hear them.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks so sick, glad to see this project still has life !
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man =) yeah, its been fun revisiting it. I think I am calling it done now. Unless someone has anything major to point out. Want to get back to sculpting stuff
    podPresentation1.jpg
    podPresentation2.jpg
    podPresentation3.jpg