Home Technical Talk

"Modular" terrain.

Hey everyone! I need help with hmm "modular" terrain. I want to make few tileable textures of for example: grass nad cliff. That solution allows me to easily modell large amout of terrains and just fit textures, without spending a lot of time on sculpt/retopo/uv/texturing on every single element. Next, i planning to add a lot of long grass/flowers on planes with alphas + some decals on ground with more satured grass etc.

The main problem is seams beetwen textures. I thinkg about putting decals on seams, to mask it. But it isnt lookin good.. Another idea i had, was to make little tight strip texture of blend beetwen grass and cliff. The problem is, that making seams beetwen grass-grass and cliff-cliff. I dont know how to describe it, look at picture:

32421746.jpg

hmm i have been thinking and searching solution, but ... :(
maybe this flow is completely wrong?

Replies

• Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    With this method your going to end up with seams, you could spend a bunch of time trying to match up tiling transition strips - but that kind of defeats the time savings this method affords you.

Once you add some props like boulders, rocks, logs, whatever - plus your grass planes decals and lighting they will be much less noticeable.

In saying all of that, unless your using some pretty old tech your engine of choice should support some kind of texture blending, which would solve the seam issue.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    vertex alpha blend for example + gradd sprites surrounding the bottom seam