Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P - Tavor CTAR-21 Assault rifle (first gun model)

Hi guys,

I recently started attempting my first gun model. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the high poly before I create the low poly. So far it has been completely in 3ds max, after I'll bring it in zbrush and add details like logos, handle grips etc.

Please let me know what you guys think!

preview5.pngpreview6.pngpreview7.png

Here is the reference:
tavorstar.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not too shabby for your first gun.

Theres some odd smoothing on the upper section of the butt and on the oval shaped hole on the right side.

also, on your clip(or magazine, whatever) and on the edge of the butt your corners are a little harsh. Consider beveling those a little bit so they pick up better in your bake. Its perfectly cool to have larger bevels than the actual model does, because they wont read as strongly as they look in the high poly.

Some details are missing, or slightly different, but overall it looks good.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Not too bad, although your reference looks like it's a render of a 3d model, i can't say for sure if it is or not - but in case it is, be sure you get ref's of the real thing as other 3d models of the same weapon are rarely ever perfect and often have incorrect pieces, shapes, and sizes.

For the holes on the weapon below the scope you have rounded smooth edges, but on the ref they are hard edged cuts as if they were just cut out and not smoothed at all. Keep up the good work!
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for the feedback.
    it's not actually a smoothing issue but since i'm using a metal material it is effecting the lighting that way. i've fixed up the clip and other details.

once it is done on zbrush ill post a wip render, this time without the metal material.

for the reference photo. i sure hope that isnt a render or i'll give up right now lol. but i'm also using different photo reference, i just didn't want to put 6 pictures of references haha.
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here is an update of my progress, let me know what you think! :)

If anyone can recommend a good tris count for the low poly, that would be helpful.

gunholypoly.png
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    how is this your first gun model?
    or are you like an expirienced sub-D modeller whos just somehow never done a gun before?
    This is really good!
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot! yeah I never attempted gun modelling, or anything really that mechanical before.

Does anyone know any good low poly gun model tutorials? I'm kinda clueless on how to make the low poly for this gun, my first attempt turned out to be too high poly :( I find it harder then character low poly :\