Home Technical Talk

Decimation Master Pre-Process Issues

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I'm probably grasping at straws at this point, but can you try various combinations of setting decimation master to run as admin or not and the same with zbrush itself? I know mine are currently set to have zbrush as admin and dec. master not, but it's a pretty quick experiment and it can't hurt.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, what are you using for antivirus/firewall/etc?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Copper, I don't have any subtools. It's just a simple rock. Even on a single sphere it doesn't work.

@Iconoplast, I'll try out that stuff in a bit. Right now I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried running as administrator in a few different setups and it didn't do anything.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you checked to see if Security Essentials might be blocking it? If it's blocked or Zbrush is sandboxed, it could make it act like this.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just checked and it doesn't seem like it's blocking anything. I also turned off my firewall and tried just to be sure it wasn't being blocked by that either and it still didn't work.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not familiar with Microsoft's product in particular -- can you turn off the real-time system protection? I'm pretty sure that control is separate from the firewall (if you're using the associated one) and at least then we can be sure.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried it when it was turned off and it didn't work. We have to be getting close to the solution now based on the number of things we've tried... The only one I haven't tried yet is re-seating my processor/RAM.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do think we've learned a lot about the problem for what that's worth! You also haven't mentioned trying an earlier version of Zbrush, which I think is the most likely to help diagnostically at this point. My new best theory involves registry settings that aren't being cleared on uninstall, but that one might take me a bit to track down.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I forgot about trying an earlier version. I'll try to do that sometime today.
  • CrashMagnum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrashMagnum polycounter lvl 7
    Any luck? I just signed up for polycount JUST because of this specific problem. The exact same thing happens to me. Did installing an older version help? I'm just trying to reduce an object that has about 40k polys and it crashes! I've been following along and trying the suggestions with nothing to show for it.
  • CrashMagnum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrashMagnum polycounter lvl 7
    I just realized that this thread was from 2011... :thumbdown:
  • Doker13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doker13 polycounter lvl 9
    Try to switch off the symmetry when pre-processing. It helped in my case.
  • pauloegidio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an 10Million tool that had the same problem. Geometry->MeshIntegrity->Fix Mesh did the trick and after that decimation master worked.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Boy oh boy, this is a sticky wicket. Sounds like you have tried about everything. If your copy of zBrush is a legal version or trial then you could head over t to zBrush support on the web and send a ticket. The folks at support are really exceptional.

Oh yeah. When you find the solution please post it here so we know what went wrong and how to fix it.
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    I think I have this same issue. :( 
    So, freshly launched ZBrush, spawned a Cylinder3D. Make Polymesh3D. Pre-process Current and this prints in the upper left after flashing “Computing please wait…” and hitches forever, seemingly. I can Esc out to “ZScript Aborted”. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Try clear mask before decimation, just in case.
  • DonSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonSmith polycounter lvl 6
    I read the whole thread a few days ago, but don't remember if this was suggested.  Change your preferences in decimation master to only use 1 thread.  This worked for me and some other folks in Microsoft.  I am still dealing with this workaround waiting for Pixologic to respond to my ticket, but our other teams have had luck getting Pixologic to resolve it.  We are using Xeon processors and that seems to be the only thing connecting the issues.  

Some folks had luck reducing it to 6 threads, and others had to reduce all the way to 1.  It did take considerable amount of time to pre-process the mesh of 11.6 million points.  But the decimation was still fast.  Hopefully this helps someone because I was not able to find anything more useful than this thread on the whole internets.
  • GingerN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to increase the size of subtool and it helped.