Home General Discussion

Can't decide what to do.

Hey ppl,I really have hard time thinking what to focus for my career, i like modeling so i can't decide what to model organic or hard surface or environment.For organic i am totally dump i need to know anatomy for humans/creatures but i see that people make so good characters,and i want to make that for my self but it's really hard to make than just see.As for hard surface and Environment i really enjoy to make in Maya,like weapons,vehicles,still learning how to do robots etc.and Environment in VUE.
Can i find good job in industry for hard surface/Environments.

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Your talking about Environment Art. You don't need to learn Human/Animal Anatomy for Environments....at least not of my knowledge :p. If you want to stand out you should do both, because it shows you are more well-rounded and you'll probably have to model some organic thing of some sort down the line. Do what you love and are good at, if you don't your gonna be stuck with it and thats not fun.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I some cases I think you might have better chances finding a job as an environment artist. I think there are less of them anyway, just look at the forum for the Brawl contest and count how many Stage threads there are versus Fighter threads.

I'm going to disagree with aajohnny, and say that your portfolio should focus on what you're good at, being well rounded is great, but I've found most creative industries look for potential employees to be really fantastic at one thing, rather than be pretty good at a bunch of things. Of course there are probably hundreds of gray areas in that remark.
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Need more ppl to give me their thoughts;)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simple answer: Do what you like, and do what your best at.