Q: What do you do again?

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Ok. So...

When a "game engine" comes up in conversation, and you get asked what a game engine is, what do you say?

"That green stuff in the Matrix."
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    I usually just describe it as the thing that powers the game (hence the name engine). It's what makes everything work as it should. That usually covers it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I told some girl on the train yesterday that "I make art for video games" she seemed happy enough with that answer.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yaeh, its a pain to explain with words that isn't related to game and art, because saying something like "I make models for games", for someone who knows nothing about games, models means something else. Oh the joy.
    Usually I just say I make 'visual stuff for games', and if they me to go into more details its "In the game, I build and paint the buildings and objects you can run into or pick up". If they still don't get it by then, I usually try to change subject. And 90% of the times they have the look on their face saying "Nerd". Ah well.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont get asked what i work

usually someone is comming telling everyone

uhh look at anton, hes an engineer, he could be doctor soon , blah blah blah

and then i try to get away ... i hate too much attention
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I just tell people that i draw zombies for a living. Which is generally true.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I went to brighton with my lady yesterday to pick up some bunnies :) the kids there asked what I do? did I make mario? haha, I thought for a second not this again, do I have enough time to explain it, best thing would be to lie, in short I said....yes, yes I do. I couldnt face making their massive smiles turn upside down :(
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just say I'm a student to anyone who isn't a close friend and all of those have seen me working so that one pretty much sorts itself.

I never found UVs a hard concept to explain really as long as people know what a world map is and know what a globe is, however I can't say I've ever tried explaining what a normal map is.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i usually just say I animate for games, and they usually have some stupid response like what do you mean, animate. and i say, I make shrek move..... pretty simple. lol

or, I make the art visuals for games. i find that one is pretty widely accepted.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    "What do you do for a living?"

"I corrupt the youth of today whilst simultaneously acting as a baby sitter for shit parents."

"x_______x"
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I say I'm a 3d modeler, and explain it's like making a kit model, but on the computer. I still get ???
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I just say I'm a student to anyone who isn't a close friend and all of those have seen me working so that one pretty much sorts itself.

I used to love telling people I was a student, and that I studied Game Art and Design.
    I often got "Gay Art and Design?" It's interesting that people are more willing to accept that there's a major that studies the art and design of homosexuality, than they are to accept that there's a major that studies the art and design of games. :D

Side note, I once had a 4 hour conversation with a Neurosurgeon, straight from India, about Video Games and Neurology. It was probably one of my favorite Greyhound experiences. He was as interested in my life as I was in his.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    I used to love telling people I was a student, and that I studied Game Art and Design.
    I often got "Gay Art and Design?" It's interesting that people are more willing to accept that there's a major that studies the art and design of homosexuality, than they are to accept that there's a major that studies the art and design of games. :D

Side note, I once had a 4 hour conversation with a Neurosurgeon, straight from India, about Video Games and Neurology. It was probably one of my favorite Greyhound experiences. He was as interested in my life as I was in his.

As wierd as this sounds, its so rare that anyone genuinely gives a damn about someone else's life, I had a similar conversation once with a guy who invented a particular type of tank. He genuinely cared about my life, was bizarre. I remember a quote that went something like "People never really listen, they are just waiting for their turn to speak"
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    You could also go with the classic, "None of your damn business, that's what". If you're in a jerk mood that day, which I often am.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    scotthomer wrote: »
    I remember a quote that went something like "People never really listen, they are just waiting for their turn to speak"

From Fight Club:

NARRATOR: When people think you're dying, they really, really listen to you, instead of just...
    MARLA SINGER: Instead of just waiting for their turn to speak?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I just typically say I'm an Artist. I don't get any deeper than that unless they show sincere interest.