Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Isobel

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isobel polycounter lvl 14
Hey hey,

I'm liz, 22 years "old" and I live in the Netherlands.
After many years of being on concept-art.org and slowly but surely getting annoyed by the place, I now followed my hubby, Evil, to this nice forum in the hopes of some nice crits and comments. Unlike many of you I am not a professional, I'm actually a student biology.:)
Whenever I do have time to draw I'd love comments and help ^^ and I hoped you guys could give me that!

Kisses Liz

well ^^ lets start posting then
First off something older a mermaid I still need to finish...

mermaid.jpg

Second is Angelica
I got a bit inspired to draw again cos of the brawl here and not that I changed her a whole lot, it just felt nice to draw again.

angelica%20copy1.jpg

Replies

• RyanWC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the fluidness of the top one works well in the figure. The face on angelica is nice too. There are several things that I would advise for you. I would study the human figure some more. Hong ly on his website has photosets of characters that you can use to study from. http://www.characterdesigns.com/ In fact he is allowing anyone to use his pictures for any purpose, except that you don't take the picture itself and say it is yours. but derivatives are all ok, even for commercial. Maybe pick up some books on anatomy as well, or get some materials from the net. don't just copy the anatomical studies either, not only is that boring, but it doesn't help much on your understanding. Instead, draw trying to understand how the form connects to other forms.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I agree with Ryan. You've got a good start, but it seems like you haven't quite got the basics of the anatomy down yet. It seems like you're really starting to push foreshortening and form down before curvature and compliment of design. Don't get me wrong, it's great that you're doing it, but learn how...
    RyanWC wrote: »
    the form connects to other forms
    ...first. Really understanding muscle groups and angles of motion can help your images seem more alive and natural rather than just a sketch or just an idea.

Another thing that might help is experimenting more with lighting studies. Even quick sketches of basic objects and where shadows fall, how backlighting and rim light can help accentuate the details in your form and really make it pop.

You're off to a great start, but you've got quite a ways to go. Keep it up and welcome to Polycount :)