Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Churchill MK III Tank

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys.

This is the beginning of the first asset for a new scene I'm doing in UDK. Thought I'd get some opinions before I make the low poly. Having to step it up to raise my chances of picking up some employment.

The tank is based off the Churchill MK III (http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv117/RickLawlerphotos/Churchill/146psize.jpg) with some further side details taken from the Churchill MK III AVRE (http://armouruk.net/images/uk10728.jpg).

reminder10.jpg

Thanks and enjoy your weekend goobers.

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I think it looks sexy! Aver all nice level of detail. Though allot of the edges are kinda harrrd. Could be to much for the bake to pick up..

Looking forward for that other render :D
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice, could we see a low shot?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    is it me or does the cannon itself look somewhat on the short end? also are the tracks exposed on the top or is that something else that jsut happens to look like the tracks, i just cant wrap my mind around why they would be exposed like that - other then that i think this looks great, also looking forward to the bake render :)
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    sltrOlsson - I agree some edges look hard, particularly in the render, as I did these renders at 2am last night I was stupid enough to forget to turn a couple objects turbosmooths back on - sigh, but I'll definitely make them a bit smoother. Ta :).

CandyStripes05 - Hmm I think the cannon is the correct size going by all my references, but I too have felt its a bit small, maybe I'll beef it up just for a bit more interest. The tracks I left exposed just to make it look a bit cooler as per image http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv117/RickLawlerphotos/Churchill/146psize.jpg, i like how it changes between armour and track along the top. Thanks :).
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Bonjourno!

With little crits I figured it was safe to finish off this tackers low poly. Here's the result WEIGHING IN at a whopping 700lbs (35, 568 tris) in marmoset. I really have gone with the assumption these wheels would be LOD'd down, but I'll definitely be cutting them down further, which should shave off lots as they have way too many sides at the moment, especially the interior ones.

The tread I really had no idea how to tackle, not very happy with the end result, but it ended up only being 356 tris all up. I think a decent texture with some noise on it will also help sell the tread, and also distract the eye from looking at it as some horrible plane.

reminder16.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Thats looking really good. Can you throw a darker material with some spec on it so we can see how well the normals baked onto the low?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Sure, hopefully this is good enough. Big fan of your work btw alec =].

Sorry for the very slapped together screenies, I feel these wips dont need much prettying up anyway!

reminder17.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Edit: removed this cruddy pic, too many normal errors that i've fixed XD
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    are you still doing cleanup on the bake? Something weird is going on with your cylinder caps. The only other major error is that plate that covers the drive gear on the front. Looks like it might need to be re-triangulated in the low or something. But yeah, it looks really good.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Alec, yeah still cleaning up, I'll fix those issues, thanks!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    your right it does indeed look cool, breaks things up a bit and makes it more remember-able, deff was the right choice on your part - however still doesn't seem piratical to me :P but that doesn't matter, good progress man
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I dunny why, but that fabric piece on the side is the cherry on top of the cake for me!

Really detailed and great asset!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    CandyStripes05 - Thanks :).
    [HP] - Means a lot coming from you thanks HP :D.

I'll be blocking out the rest of my ww2 scene before i finish texturing this, and I'll texture everything in one hit, so this is as far as I'll be taking it for the moment.

*Twiddles thumbs while waits for the corrected bake to finish!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    waht can i say, one big neat tank ;)

Tracks feel a bit too rounded than the real ones; but well, it could be not that big of a deal tho.
    Looks great overall.