Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AUV- First Metal Project

Hey guys I am doing a project for one of my classes and I figured I would show you guys my progress and hopefully get some feedback. I am modeling a AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle), in particular a Rutger Glider. It roams the sea collecting data (for oil and red tide) for biologists. I plan on weathering it down a lot more than the brand new versions through the texture which I hope to get to tomorrow. I would love some critique from you guys and any suggestions to make this thing more bad ass! :D

Here are some pictures, aka my reference sheet
1215p5d.jpg[/IMG]

This is my sub-d model in maya
30nka52.jpg[/IMG]

and this some quick zbrush stuff for it. I haven't touched the wing or the tail yet. Also that bracket that holds the wing in place I believe is plastic, any suggestions on sculpting worn plastic weathered by ocean water?

208yb9i.jpg[/IMG]

Replies

• marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking good, nice clean modeling, I love the subtle detail you did in zbrush, nothing too heavy. No crits.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking nice, but you may have a hard time getting a good bake from your detail. Subtle detail is nice, but it's usually a good idea to exaggerate things on high poly models. Beveling indentations and deepening any zbrush detail will help it read better on the normal map.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    SeanEG wrote: »
    It's looking nice, but you may have a hard time getting a good bake from your detail. Subtle detail is nice, but it's usually a good idea to exaggerate things on high poly models. Beveling indentations and deepening any zbrush detail will help it read better on the normal map.

Who said he was baking it down?

But yeah, you're right. However, adam did the same thing with his atom bomb (no pun intended). If it's just for presentation, and not actually baking it, then by all means, subtle detail is awesome! :D
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point. I just assumed he was baking it down since he said he was getting to the texture tomorrow. Bed time for me.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for taking a look. I suppose I should have mentioned some other notes... I will be making a low-poly for this, and I plan on exaggerating my zbrush mark, I was just testing some alphas and seeing if they help it or hurt it.

@marq4porshce: Thanks a lot :D

@SeanEG: yeaaaa I realize that I could have made it easier on myself had i just put all that detail on a layer and just deepen those effects..oh well, the sculpting didn't take to long anyways.

@Prophecies: Actually the Adam bomb is my main inspiration. Good catch.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys sorry for the super late posting and what not. Got pretty hectic here at school and couldn't find a lot of time. But my updates are a finished high poly of the AUV and I created a low poly for it and have been trying my hand so far at metal texturing. I still have a lot planned for the texturing but this is like 40% done I would say. I would love some critique and any help on metal texturing. Thanks guys

2qvwe2c.jpgfbyert.jpg[/IMG]
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    The cool sculpted detail isn't coming through very well on the textured model, maybe darken those worn off parts a bit more on the specular?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try adding a wee bit more segments to the body itself, its coming off quite jagged even at the forgiving angles youve chosen..
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    normal map reads fine for me, those things don't get too beat up so anything more would be overkill, but def need some more loops on that it's very jagged