Home Technical Talk

Max - Repetitive Slowdown

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
So, I've noticed that some operations in Max, when done to a large number of objects (500, 1000, etc) seem to go slower on each object.

For example, I have about 500 groups in a scene I'm working on. I select all of them, ungroup, and the modifier window blinks like mad as refreshes. It selects each group, ungroups, selects the next, etc... but after it does this for awhile, I notice that each successive blink is slightly longer than the next. Basically, I can ungroup 100 objects in 10 seconds, but ungrouping 500 objects takes 100 seconds.

By itself, this isn't a big deal, but if you do the same thing on an even larger number of objects, sometimes this causes crashes. It's not specific to just ungroup, it seems to be on a lot of different operations; some Maxscripts, applying modifiers to large groups, renaming objects, collapsing large groups of objects to editable polys, etc.

Anybody know what's causing this, aside from bad programming? Short of breaking this up into smaller batches, is there an easy way to fix this?

Any info would be appreciated... this is starting to drive me crazy.

Replies