Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – George Sokol, Environment Artist

Hey all,

Just finished reworking my portfolio. I will be on the job hunt in the near future, and would like to get this in the best shape possible.

All critiques and comments would be appreciated.

www.georgesokol.com

Thanks!

Replies

• porkovich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey George

I think your off to a pretty good start with your work. I like the city scene and the design of the buildings. Some of the brick textures do have a obvious repeating pattern when viewed from afar. Maybe try more grunge overlays, decals to break it up and add more contrast.

I'm no professional as of yet, by any means, but I can see positive potential in your work.

As for the website, I think it's easy to navigate. The text on the header could be more clear and sized up. Kinda hard to read. Maybe try a different font.

Out of curiosity, who was the art test for? I'm hoping to get the opportunity to do some of those pretty soon here.

Good luck
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Looks good. In terms of site design, I don't think you need to have a black outline around everything, White text on dark grey looks fine.

Good luck with the job hunt!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

porkovich: Thanks man. The city scene does need quite a bit of work. I'm considering dropping this out of my portfolio and replacing it with my next scene though. I feel like it was too ambitious...and its too empty.

The art test was for High Voltage in Chicago.

Fearian: Yes black outlines around EVERYTHING!!! haha. Are you referring to the drop shadows on everything? After looking again I guess it might be overkill.

Anybody else got any critiques? I'm particularly interested in knowing if I should drop any projects out of here, which ones are the best/worst. Anything really...I really want to get this in great shape.

Thanks again!
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    The street scene:

- there are some smoothing problems on your arch shapes in your windows.

- Also, the shot looking down the street is the strongest one, but the pavement only extends halfway down the road and the lack of it further along looks odd.

- I personally would ditch the reversal shot looking back up the street or add something else in the background - the green hill looks a bit too basic

- The storefronts look pretty nice from what I can see - perhaps have a more zoomed in shot of one of them and make them more of a feature

- look at the transitions between the different surfaces: the gutters of the road seem very clean as they meet the pavement or the grass

- drainpipes and guttering

- everything seems to stop at the top of the buildings - maybe have some features on the roofs like the occasional aerial to break that line

I like the mustang model but the material or the lighting makes it look a bit dusty or something. Maybe ramp up the car paint effect.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks nullfed.

I'll replace the uphill shot with one showing the storefronts like you mentioned.

I'll look into re-rendering the car too. When I made this I wasn't having much luck with the car paint material...I'll give that a go.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played around with the gt500 a little bit to try to make it look less dusty and more like a car. I tried throwing it into udk to see how it would look through an engine.

Considering replacing the renders with the real time screen grabs. Yay or nay?

gt500_udk_1.jpg
    gt500_udk_2.jpg
    gt500_udk_3.jpg

Will look into making some small fixes to the city scene next. Not really looking to revamp this scene. It will be the first to go when I get something new. I'm juggling a few projects at once right now, so I'll at least try to fix some of the glaring issues with it for now.
  • Visceral