Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Super Smash Brothers, CAPTAIN FALCON, IanKazimer

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
IanKazimer polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone. First time showing up for a competition on Polycount, but I'm stoked about this one. I'll be trying a super exaggerated Captain Falcon.

I'm having a hard time getting my ref page to upload, but I'm sure most of you have seen Captain Falcon before. Did some sketches during lunch today. Gonna try to get his costume finalized by Friday and hopefully get to modeling by Monday. Fingers crossed.

CURRENT:
CostumeConcept1.jpg

Rough helmet concepts. Don't love any of these:

Helmets.jpg

As far as proportions and bodyshape go, this is what I'm looking at Bod_Prop.jpg

Quick symmetry-sketch:
bod_sym.jpg

And some head studies. These won't matter TOO much since I want his helmet to do a lot of the talking. Still needs a heroic jawline, and hell, I might even beard him up. The one with the arrow is the one I'm digging right now.

HeadConcepts.jpg

HeadConcepts2.jpg

Should have some costume sketches tomorrow, but I'll break it down below.

I'm essentially juicing up Captain Falcon. Crazy proportions, crazy energy. I want him to be capable of very exaggerated poses (yeah, even MORE SO than he already is.)

I also want to give his supposed powers a point of origin. I'm planning a gauntlet set up on his right hand with expanding wings for the falcon punch, a conductor on his left leg for his electric knee attack, and firestarters on his boots for propulsion/falcon kicks. His FP gauntlet will likely have tubes, wires and stuff leading to a small jetpack on his back used for housing energy and short bursts of flight. Pictures soon.

Replies

• STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 14
    yeaaaaaaaa! good choice :)
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    yay another captain falcon! i thought i was the only one for a second cant wait to see what you come up with!
  • IanKazimer
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some early concept stuff. I'm gonna try to blow through this phase since I'm pretty late to the party. Should have some costume stuff tomorrow.
  • IanKazimer
    Offline / Send Message
    Diggin your Falcon stuff, Onomatopoeia! Hope you don't mind that I also had a falcon pawnch gauntlet in mind. I assure you mine won't be biting your style!
  • koufuyo
    oh wow! long time no speech! How's life?
    Haven't spoken to you since forever ago
  • The_Onomatopoeia
    its totally cool i love seeing everybodies different versions of these characters. im digging the proportions on this!
  • IanKazimer
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for update time! Here's a first pass at his get-up:

CostumeConcept1.jpg

The gauntlet is going to have another layer of moving parts. A falcon-esque mechanism that opens it wings (which are lined with combustion dispensers) to shoot out fire for the falcon punch. The opening on top of his forearm also aids in that.

Gonna be tweaking his artillery a good bit as well. Haven't yet tackled the jet pack/falcon punch hub. That will essentially be a backpack, so those bulky straps will be factored in. The little tesla conductor electro knee thing might be easier to read once I get some color and effects backing it up. Might also help to nix the kneepad on the other leg. Now that I'm typing that, I think I might just do it...

Both the knee and the gauntlet will have cables and wires running along Cap's body and leading to their respective power sources.

Not in love with the boots yet, but I'll do a few more passes before I cast judgment.

Also did some quick helmet passes in the car earlier:

Helmets.jpg

Not head over heels for any of these, but I think the two on the far left are closer to where I want to be. I want his telltale white triangle eyes to remain intact, and I want to figure out a way to incorpotate falcon wings. The "beak" on the farthest left is more "spartan" than I want to go, but who knows, it might lead somewhere.

Ignore the clear shoutout to Ken and Jun; I'm not doing the glass-beak-visor.

Lemme hear what you're thinking!
  • porchcowboy
    i like the fact that your keeping it cartoony and i have to say your symmetry sketch it really nice good lines, with those in the model it should be a strong character.