Home Technical Talk

zbrush prep tool

Hello all, I'm working on building a little tool (originally in maya, and then a version in max) to prep models for Z-brush, and I was wondering what sort of functions and tools people would like to see. as of now, I'm planning on the following:

• Bevel all hard edges on the model to hold the hard edges while subdividing
  • an option to show faces that are extremely small or extremely large, to assist with even subdividing
Are there any other features that you would like to see on a tool like this, or do you have any comments about what I'm planning on?

thanks for any input
-t

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Not that i need it, but something which does reset XForm(if maya has something similar),Centering the pivot point and then centering the model to 0,0,0 is something which i always do and which could be made a one-click thing.(actually i already made this)

Another thing which could help on certain meshes would be adding a relax modifier with the option keep outer edges active.(for max only i guess)

I don´t think beveling all hard edges is a good idea, on corners it generaly produces tri´s or ngons which are not really good for scultping apps.
  • h6x6n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't do much sculpting, but my friends who do a fair amount say they bevel their hard edges if they're doing a lo poly in order to hold hard edges in z brush.

do you have any better methods for holding hard edges?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    something that highlights non manifold mesh errors. verts/faces/edges occupying the same space. Also polygons adjacent to each other with opposing normals. (this may not be a problem in newer version of Maya)

might be nice to highlight 6 pronged stars also. 6 edges merging at 1 point
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You could add extra loops to hold the shape(has to be done manually i guess)
    Or you could subdivide the model without smoothing it in zbrush
    Or you could use crease edges in zbrush.