Home Technical Talk

A couple of questions on Zbrush

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I am really new to Zbrush and I am starting only now to play with it so I wanted to ask How do I do to put right the symetry brushes? I imported this model and applied the subdivision but as you can see the simetry is offsetted from its center , the model is from 3dsmax and is perfectly centered in 0 0 0 in the viewport there....

shiftedsim.jpg

Also how do I do to sraw streight lines all along the head of the mesh ? Like I want to make a small carving of the hat detach from the head ...

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Not sure if it´s related, but where is your pivot positioned?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Pivot is in center 0 0 0 as I wrote , in the max viewport ...

Also another question is following the small video minitutorial on noise in zbrush page portal , I enable nosie but nothing happens to my mesh why?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You said your model was perfectly positioned, not your pivot.That´s why i asked.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I recheck ...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok thanks now I fixed the simmetry by fixing the pivot that was slightly offsetted ...

Now about the straight lines and the noise not appearing?

I noticed when I load the mesh import in zbrush it apppears with face down and I can see the noise very small on the quads ... but when I zoom out I dont see anmore , then when I zoom in I cant see and the image gets all pixellated even when I go back to normal size why this?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For straight lines you could use rectangle masks, lazymouse, or projection master.

For noise / pixillation, make sure you're not using the zoom document buttons. Those will zoom the 2.5d document, which would be similar to zooming in on Photoshop. Stick with the mouse navigation or the scale edited object button.

Noise can be hard to see depending on the settings and the material you're using (your material looks like it could easily wash out such details). Either switch matcaps to find one that would show it better, or adjust the scale/strength of the noise.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    here is wfter importing without subdividing and applying noise with large scale and srenght ...

why this?

noisepm.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    By "applying noise", do you mean you hit the "Apply to Mesh" button? Noise doesn't require extra geometry to preview, but actually applying it to the mesh would require enough subdivisions to handle the detail.

And again for the zooming, can you describe the steps you're taking to zoom? One can't tell from a cropped photo, but it does look like you're zooming the document.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok here is ...

1 I import the model

2 I subdivide the geometry to 4 levels

3 I apply simply noise nothing else and I slide the intensity on as you can see on right ....

noisek.jpg

According to how I slide this it messes more like in the previouse picture or less like in this one but still isn't applying to the whole mesh etc....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It could relate to the scale of your mesh. Especially if the noise scale at 108 looks so very tiny. Try scaling the mesh down in max and reimport it.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    maybe upload the max file for someone to look at
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yes that worked but it completely messed up the sizes of my model I mean shoudl have a certain meters proportions and now is tiny , there wasn't another way ?

Plus here now appeared this weird line that you can see crossing the head hat whats that due to ?

noisee.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The line can probably either be fixed by adjusting the noise scale or curve, or by giving the area a quick pass with a brush.

Don't worry about the measurements of the mesh, it's not like the proportions have changed. If you need it to be several meters tall for whatever reason, just scale it back when you're done.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Some of these scale issues can be the result of not resetting xform and collapsing your model before exporting to zbrush. As for the model being rotated there are some options in the zbrush preferences for importing and exporting models so they are oriented correctly.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I couln't resolve by resetting xform or quick pass with a brush since it's applied endeendently from the brush or subdivision , so I had to tune down the scale of noise and reduce still the mesh size....

anyway I can't seem to be able to manually paint a straight line on the model .... I woul dneed to follow the picture image precisely , if I was in max I woul dbe using the overlay model on image background or side but in zbrush I dunno is this possible? so to see themodel in transparency on the picture behind to follow the detail better?

and if even how do I do to trace a straight line that goes around the front of the mesh as I indicated in this picture?
    I am really new to Zbrush so I am trying to learn new tips all time ...
    Thanks a lot for help ...

linesj.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LazyMouse + Masking.
    Then use a Layer Brush for example to push it in and clean up after that.

Masks depend on the density of the mesh, if there are not enough polys it won´t work as expected.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    or quick pass with a brush since it's applied endeendently from the brush or subdivision
    Apply the noise to the mesh and it would easily be able to be altered by brushes. I would make this one of the last steps.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    What is lazymouse?
  • cryrid
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok thanks but how can I do to have the reference visible somehow so that I can follow it on sort of copy overlay instead than to it by looking the picture out of the zbrush window?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Spotlight and image planes would be two ways to go about bringing in visual references, but both would work differently than an overlay. Really though, given the reference posted earlier, it looks like something that could be very easily eyeballed.