Home Technical Talk

Help me out - Max/Maya normal maps

Hey guys, been following a while, first post. Learning to use Maya for a school project but coming from 3ds max, I don't really know how to fix my normal map issues.

Here are the comparison shots of a box and normal map I made in max and exported to maya:

92268360.jpg

I also went ahead and made my own box tests in Maya to be sure and came out with the same results, can't seem to get normal maps working in Maya. I've looked at a lot of threads and wikis and videos. Here is one that I followed:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYWj3zGXSjM&feature=related[/ame]

So I did a new box test in maya and transfered maps and got this:

87248247.jpg

It seems to be inverted (even inverting channel in photoshop doesnt fix) and has a huge ugly seam in viewport. In the render, it just blew up. Exported to max to see how it looked and still bad. for transfer map options, the envelope on the box is good and the settings are mostly default except for assigning to new material and texture sizes

Am I missing some sort of check box hidden away in an option menu somewhere? i am seriously stuck and stupid, please help

thank you

Replies

• gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    Your last image doesnt show up.

Are you referring to the hard creases your getting on the corners?

Your going to see the corner geometry with a normal map on, no way to really get rid of that with a 90 degree angle. Id suggest doing a bevel on the edges of the low poly, then see how that turns out.

Also, you shouldn't have your UV islands directly next to each other like that. Give them a few pixels worth of space between the faces.
  • EarthQuake
    It looks like you need to invert the green channel of your normal map when viewing in maya, or set the "handness" to right/left(I dont remember which) tangent space, this is found in your mesh attributes in maya.