Home Technical Talk

Normal map issue! Bad distortion.

gdsworld
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
gdsworld polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, Having some serious issues with my normal mapping. Please help me if you know what the problem might be.

I'm got this very weird issue with normal map where half of my model is badly distorted when I apply the normal map.
normalproblem.jpg

-i've build my low poly model again last night and then unwrapped it and i'm still getting this problem.
-I've tried just a blue colour as a normal map and this distortion still shows up
-I've tried to change the normals on the model itself and have also used only one smoothing group.
-I don' have any overlapping uv's as the symmetrical parts were left outside the render window

I tried to project it in zbrush, xnormal and 3ds max and nothing worked.
I have to submit this model this wednesday and I can't get this thing to work.
Please help!

Replies

• gdsworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gdsworld polycounter lvl 9
    Dustinbrown- Thanks for your comment, never used xview before but will definitely check it out. My lecturer managed to fix it for me.
    It wasn't anything to do wih the geometry and I made sure I welded everything.
    normalmap.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That's looking better! If you permit me to comment on your topology, I think you could save alot of tri's by not actually modelling the belly button. Youl should let the normal map take care of that. Regardless, good job on baking it right! :)