Home Technical Talk

A exported model with a alpha map on a seperate mesh.

Hey guys,

I really need some help with this. So basically I'm trying to get this working properly into someone elses game engine. These are the texture maps I have:

Diffuse
Spec
Normal
Camodiffuse-which is the grassy sh*t
Camoalpha

So I'm really unsure of this but when I export the model obviously the engine would have to support multiple textures. Although when the camoalpha texture is applied it makes the rifle disappear.

Hahaha also my employer is really confusing me but basically he has said this:

"also with the camo burlap the uv needs to be on the same uv as the rifle or the alpha overrides the other map and removes the rifle. "

I'm guessing that he wants me attach the UV to the rifle's UV and fit it into there tiny. Although then the alpha will be tiny and pixelated?
then the alpha would be like this or something :(
2unwp54.jpg

I am confused as hell. I'm thinking that I should possibly put the camoalpha texture into the camodiffuse, into the alpha channel instead. Which would eliminate him having to apply another additional texture.

Basically I want to know what methods you use when you apply multiple textures for a single exported mesh inside the game engines you use? Multiple textures, or alphas. For example If I put this into udk, how could I apply a second texture and alpha for that, without making the rifle's texture be affected?

ivv1tz.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In UDK I'm pretty sure you would handle it by material ID's. Set up the material ID's inside of your 3D app, and then apply the appropriate textures to them in the game engine.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably because you have the alpha on the same mesh. If you have all of that gun and camo as one model, then you could have alpha trouble. Try seperating the camo mesh, from the rifle, and make it a seperate material too.

Without knowing more about the engine it's difficult to advise.