Home Unreal Engine

Baking lighting, only the dominant directional bakes

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
My Brawl scene has a dominate directional and a bunch of pointlights. Everything is set to default settings (my mesh, the lights, etc). When I bake out only the dominate bakes.

I have a lightmass importance volume.

What am I missing to get my pointlights to bake as well?

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    what build are you using?

try deleting the dominant light and see if the point lights will bake.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Using March 2011 build - baking without the dominate = no lights baked :(
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd. have you tried just deleting them and re-adding them? dont know how you are adding them.. through actor classes or whatnot but perhaps you're using moveable or toggleable lights?

just did a test with it.. lights built fine. try just making a new test level. if its your level, then you can easily import all the content to a new one
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Just to remove any problems, you've gone to the v2 of march build right?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to remove any problems, you've gone to the v2 of march build right?

true
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I had the issue aswell, there's a workaround, select all surfaces (shift S), go in properties (F4) and there you'll have 3 properties you got to set back to default, it's a bug in march2 udk.

lightmass settings >
    *use two sided lighting
    *shadow indirect only
    *emissive light falloff exponent

set these 3 back to default (right click on the name<set back to default) and you're done :)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Obviously only works for BSP brushes, if you having meshes that are not being lit via point lights then I would check the lighting channels on your point lights and make sure they are on the same channel as the mesh

(that bug exists in all of them from January onwards for me by the way - you have to adjust the settings for bsp brushes for light to build properly)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Heya - so I'm on Beta 2 for March and have tried out a lot of whats been suggested here.

-The model and lights are on teh same light channels
    -These are fresh new imports, new names on the objects, and a new world in UDK
    -Started fresh: placed just 1 asset with 1 simple material, 1 point light (L + click on the viewport), adjust the Pointlights position, and bake it.

What am I missing? Lightmass volume? (Added one to original world, did not help).

If I bake with a dominate point light, that DPL bakes just fine. However, no other light type will bake. I'd like to be able to use multiple light tapes to bake lighting and I don't remember it being this difficult to make it happen...
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    mmm yeah then it's definitely odd, I'm using the march 2 udk and I have spotlights/pointlights and a domdirect in my scene and everything works just fine...have you tried placing the light in another way than this (select actor, or place actor, etc?)

I tried L+click here and it works just fine too (I'm on UDK march 2, 64 bits DX9) maybe ask on the UDK community forums ?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Simple question, but, are you up to date with your graphic card driver ?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I am, but I can't see how that would cease lightmaps from baking.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    On an old beta, without the laster drivers on my ati card, my baking of the lights was full of errors (shadows and colors was... strange).

Sorry, I don't any other ideas about your problem... ,'(