Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Soulcalibur 3, LING-SHENG SU TEMPLE RUIN, NordicNinja

After much debate and procrastinating I finally decided that I'm definitely going to enter the Brawl contest for realsies. I wasn't going to enter but I ended up scaling back on another project so I could finally make some time.

I'm going to do the Ling-Sheng Su Temple Ruin level from Soulcalibur 3 as if it was conquered by a Thulsa Doom like character from the Conan the Barbarian mythos.

I found the concept art much more inspiring then the level used in the game so I'm going to take most of my cues from that. And here it is:

soulCalibur3_Ling-Sheng_Su_Ruin.jpg

Here is some of the reference I gathered of Japanese castles and Shinto shrines ect.

reference_japanese.jpg

And some of my Conan reference...

reference_conan.jpg

reference_conan_07.jpg

I'm going to try and put my fingers deeper into the UDK's pie so to speak with this one. Theres going to be a pretty high learning curve so I'm assuming I'm going to be running around yelling "Why doesn't this work?! *death gargle*" just as much as actually working on the level assets. I'm hoping to be able to complete it by the deadline but I'm not going to be surprised if I have to slip a little. But either case is fine as long as I get a better understanding of working/rendering in UDK and get some practice working modularly. Now its time to get a braw-lin'!

You killed my mother! You killed my father! :poly127: *ahhhnold yell*

Replies

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great choice, was considering this one too.:)
    Good luck!
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well....it looks as though I've come to a bit of an impasse. I totally underestimated the time it would take me to get up and running and totally over estimated the time I had for it. :( Combined with a last minute decision to take a bit of a vacation for the anniversary this year I think I'm going to have to bow out with what little dignaty I can muster. :poly136:

The good news is that I've already learned a ton about working with UDK that I didn't know before. I'm really grateful for all of the awesome video tutorials and learning resources. Reminds me of when I first started teaching myself ZBrush. It's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun. :thumbup:

I really wish I could have jumped on at the beginning so I could have at least made it past the block in / lighting stage and had something worthwhile to post in the thread.

Lesson learned though. When the next challenge rolls around I'll be familiar enough with UDK that I can spend my time actually making art stuffs and not fumbling around in the editor. :poly142:

If any mods come across this feel free to delete the thread (it appears I can't?). Sorry guys! Next time fo sho!
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww. This one would have been awesome too. :( Good luck on your future endeavors.