Home Technical Talk

hired with no experience?

What are the odds of getting a environment artist job with no experience at all, but having a very very strong portfolio? and also strong character(personality wise)

thanks, michael

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    High....As long as your portfolio is "VERY VERY" Strong.
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a good portfolio and are “able to deliver” you will certainly be considered. I speak from experience, I went from the occasional Mod contribution to AAA Environment Modeling/Level Design. Go for it =)

Now I am in a position were I have to hire people and “years of experience” is not were I look first.

Good luck.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, don't be put off by the fact that every job posting has experience requirement. Typically if it asks for 1-3 years experience, it really means it's a junior position. If a job advertised "no experience required" they'd get flooded with applications and alot of crap from people that literally have no experience!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Does this apply to character artists too?
    I'm trying to break in at the moment, I'm sticking to characters but I honestly dont know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I haven't seen an entry level character gig yet, and I dont think that my folio is strong enough to apply for the experience required positions.

I see a fair few 3D modeller Jr positions. Should entry level character artists focus on props to get in the door and then work up from there? By that I mean drop the characters from the folio and get a few well done assets up instead ( i'm worried about diversity being seen as negative in a portfolio)

Sorry if that comes across as nonsense.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    there are many ways to get hired if you have no experience.

Having a very strong portfolio is a good start.

Some companies, such as the one I work at, have intern positions. We have hired people from the intern position to full time work.

There will occasionally be junior positions opening up. Especially at companies that need a lot of new staff for some reason.

And you can sometimes get a job from another position such as QA. It's not as easy as it sounds though.
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say go for it. But like it was said, do you have a good portfolio? You have to be realistic, this forum is a good place to show your work.

See how people like it, most of the users here work in the industry in some way you will certainly get some good/constructive feedback.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I went from self-taught for a year to first-party AAA-development. If you work hard enough on your art, befriend the right people ie networking. People will notice you and will want to help you get in.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    If we never hired people with no experience, game developers would have gone extinct 30 years ago!

As Justin said, that 1-3 years experience is largely a deterrent. Obviously if there are two candidates with equal skill but one with more experience, there's a good chance the more experienced candidate will get hired. Don't let that keep you from applying though - I've seen it go the other way around as well.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    seth. wrote: »
    Does this apply to character artists too?
    I'm trying to break in at the moment, I'm sticking to characters but I honestly dont know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I haven't seen an entry level character gig yet, and I dont think that my folio is strong enough to apply for the experience required positions.

I see a fair few 3D modeller Jr positions. Should entry level character artists focus on props to get in the door and then work up from there? By that I mean drop the characters from the folio and get a few well done assets up instead ( i'm worried about diversity being seen as negative in a portfolio)

Sorry if that comes across as nonsense.

Too be honest Seth , it's really really really hard to break in as a character artist. I started out only doing characters, but soon realized that there are very few character artists positions announced and the ones that are have heavy competition. You have to be brilliant, I know you're good, but you'd have to take 1-2 steps above your level right now as well.

Then again, getting a job is about: Skill, networking and luck. Sometimes you situations happen when you nail all three.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With or without experience your portfolio will need to demonstrate that you can do the job.

Or to put it another way, if your portflio looks like you have been doing game art for 3 years then it doesn't matter.

There also is a counter argument that people who have been around a few years, could be jaded, disgruntled, combative, using bad habits from the last place they worked and or fairly disillusioned with the whole process of making games.

Either way, have a rockin portfolio.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    or have a well placed friend willing to recommend you :). No harm making some friends in the industry.
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
    A strong portfolio will put you above the rest for sure but I think initiative goes a long way too. Join a mod or make a pretty level/character in game. That's basically the job you will be doing anyway and it is experience anyways.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    wise words Chris, and apologies longhornfan, i realise i almost hijacked your thread so I will say this and slink off... the key to sucess in essence is get your head down and make some bloody good art and the rest will follow? Makes sense really.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    like most artistic fields getting jobs is all about networking and your portfolio.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Two tips I heard around here but also again recently from an aardvark swift recruiter:

1. A good gauge of your portfolio if whether or not it matches the quality of work at the studio you are applying to. Be honest with yourself here!

2. ONLY show your strongest pieces. Don't put up something half arsed to 'fill space' - you might know that you did it a year ago and can do better, but a recruiter going quickly through your work doesn't. It might look like you can't spot quality or still produce sub par stuff.