Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Concept project

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
LoboHotPants polycounter lvl 17
Hey everybody.

I decided to challenge myself with a new personal project. I went to http://cghub.com/ and browsed through the site for some interesting environmental concept pieces. I found several I really liked so the next step was to recreate them in the UDK. I'm restricting myself to using on the UDK assets and trying to use them in ways that won't necessarily look like I'm using the UDK assets. If that makes sense. Or at least keep the unique meshes down to a few. The environments are mostly non-functional with my goal to get as close to the concept as possible but I do plan on making it work in the future. I welcome the critiques and a fresh pair of eyes.

Replies

• LoboHotPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first concept piece is from Horia Dociu http://cghub.com/images/view/22660/

Concept
    408_max.jpg

UDK
    badideafactory-canal-1.jpg

Update 03-30-2011 - I got to talk with Horia and he gave me some suggestions which I applied in this next screenshot. I warmed up the lighting, added some caustics to the right wall, extended out the grass and added more flowers. I'm working on changing those drainage spout square things. He said he didn't like them square and that he was just being lazy in the concept lol.
    canal03302011.jpg

Update 03-31-2011 - A few more tweaks. I feel like I can almost say this is done. I need to fix the god awful water and the grass in the water is way over bright. The scene got really busy so I'm going bring in the fog some more. The screenshots end up looking hella dark compared to what's on my screen too. That's annoying.
    canal03312011.jpg

Final Update 04-19-2011 - I finally got around to fixing the water. Tweaked the AO and the height fog. The fog was hiding a lot of the detail and the AO wasn't nearly strong enough in some of those corners. Over all I'm happy with how this turned out. I also updated the video.
    cana041920111.jpg
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQru8-vbENg[/ame]
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    In the concept, the pillars on the sloped walls jut out more / the sides are more distinct, which I think is a stronger visual composition. You can "read" the wall easier that way.

The canopy of the trees in the background is too uniform, all the trees are roughly the same height -- in the concept, there's some more asymmetry and a more distinct silhouette with a few very tall trees and a few shorter ones, which seems more visually interesting and plausible.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    i agree with junkie above and also the entrance in the bottom right of the image is much more accessible in the concept, the the contrasting light from the interior creating a strong focal point. also you've lost the detail from around the doorway in your wall.

nice work though
  • LoboHotPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I made some changes based on the feedback I've been getting. That right wall is being a real pain to light correctly. I just can't seem to get a good bounce going on that side. I'm working on faking it.

I pulled out those drainage columns at the bottom more. Some of them were down too far. I also think they could be scaled up a little more.
  • LoboHotPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with a few more tweaks. I'm almost ready to move on to the next. I also uploaded a new video.
  • LoboHotPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My last update on this little experiment. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I also uploaded a new video.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I think you're missing out by not matching the textures/materials from the concept. The brick/grime has a nice contrast in the concept, where the stone is easy to read and has smooth low contrast colors which makes the green mold/grime pop. You should also try to pull the same colors it has for the fog and water.

The video is cool you should add some flying around and camera cuts so we can see more.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    are the birds particles?
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
    I know you said you are done with this one but I think you should add some more distance fog like the concept to not make the composition look so flat. And also add some slightly camera movement :) Otherwise good job! Really like the watershader. Cheers!