Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Lighthouse

Here is my last personal project, a small rocky island with a Lighthouse on the top.

Screenimg00016.jpg

Screenimg00007.jpg

Screenimg00008.jpg

Screenimg00017.jpg

Screenimg00018.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5rUYgSRzgw"]Youtube Video[/ame]
Vimeo Mirror

More development info here

I made the whole scene except the crab. I also made all the postprocessing from scratch with hlsl.

• Cross Processing
  • Bleach Bypass
  • Custom DOF
  • Custom SSAA
  • Lens Distortion with chromatic aberration
  • Custom tonemapper with controlled eye adaption
I hope you like!

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work I'm trying to learn UDK now I know It will be a while but some youtube videos inspired me so I want to give It a shot. Yours is well done I like the whole scenery.

Maybe you could create this same day scene transition into a night scene? With lights and boats and such, would be cool, Just saying, good work!
  • leviatan1001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Hmm, maybe a night version would be interesting, but im not going to make a dynamic one, hehe.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Leviatan1001.
    I've seen your shader/post work on the UDK forums quite a bit, and the progression of this piece in particular.

The audio is great. Its not a cliche subway or sci-fi corridor. You've obviously got a great handle on post effects and general prop/enviro modeling.
    I really like what you've put together here. You have a lot to be proud of!

Now, in true Polycount fashion, I'm now going to tear it apart a little. I like to think strong constructive criticism is the highest compliment we can offer fellow members, as it shows we gave the piece a lot of time and consideration.

The caustic light you've got on the cliff is way too strong, and projects way too high up the rockface. It should attenuate to nothing after just a few feet above sea level I'd think.

The normal/noise you've got on the sand looks too strong. Tone it down a little. Let your diffuse do more of the work there.

The plants are shimmering/aliasing like crazy! Almost every shot they are in (farther than a few feet away) is just a noise of pixely mess wherever there is a plant. You may want to take some steps to resolve that somehow. Maybe an LOD version that has no alpha or limits its usage.

Your scene is called "The lighthouse" yet you aren't really presenting or featuring it as well as you might. Show us the entrance/doorway. Maybe an interior? I agree that a night scene would help sell the "lighthouse" bit as you'd be able to show a massive dynamic rotating light beam, some fog, etc. The purpose of a lighthouse after all is to be seen at night.

Keep us updated!
  • leviatan1001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comment!
    I agree with you in every point. Just that i think im not going to work anymore in that scene, hehe. At least for a while ^^
    Thank you!
  • searinox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searinox polycounter lvl 6
    Hey david! As I told you before, great job! And that fucking crab I did for you looks better than I thought. Keep going buddy!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I like the stone work. But I feel its a little desaturated.