Home Technical Talk

File open/browse/save etc - Full dialogue box??

Is there a way to get Windows (Vista) + 3ds Max to make the File Open/Browse/Save dialogue box full size on open, or big enough to show all the files?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    view > detail view ?
    Just don't use thumbnails or 32x32 default icons. I guess your question is not really clear, maybe send a screenshot of how your windows open/ save dialogue look like.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Render. Sorry for the late reply. I thought it happened in Max but it doesn't.

When I browse files to attach to emails and websites, the file browser window needs to be enlarged to view all the contents. Can this be set in Windows to automatically maximise or is it dependent on the application?

There are other cases of this but I can't say where for sure.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    sorry without screenshot I feel that I can't really help you in a constructive way, or others for the matter.
    Because the obvious would be:
    • Scrollbars let you scroll stuff (why do I even need to mention this!?!)
    • view modes can change big icons to a nice & readable list
    anyway, no screenshot no further help ;)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you need an image then here's what it looks like when the window opens:

browserwindow.jpg

All I'm asking is, is there a way in Windows to set this to automatically open maximised, so I don't need to scroll/enlarge?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think thats always a initial size like that except the application wrote their own wrapper (like PS offers their own save/ load dialogue).
    If you are getting confused or stuck with that navigation technique here is a trick for you might not have known before:
    • if you copy the url of a folder (click in that addressbar once and copy it to clipboard0
    • next time you save or open something in that dialogue (or any of that matter) just paste it in the filename box and hit enter, windows will jump to that folder.
    • The same works with hitting the [windows] + [r] key (windows run command) and paste it there followed by return it will open the existing or new folder.
    • The same works with file paths (like full url to the file on your system), which will open or save on that location.
    • if you type *.pdf in a save/ open dialogue for example it will only list pdf files
    I usually have 3-4 folders opened in which I work or have to jump to, and usually copy their paths to jump faster in other apps to those folders or files. Also if you select one file and quickly type the name of the file you are looking for it will jump to that file selection wise, which is a damn handy thing as well as you can quickly jump alphabetically to files or prefix wise.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks Render. I was aware of typing the filename in.

It's only a minor thing, resizing the box, but I constantly find myself maximising and looking for files without knowing the name off of the top of my head. A setting in Windows to maximise on open would have been nice ..not to worry.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    for quick navigating i like to move the folder i want a link to into the "favorite links" panel.
    this way i can open up a new window make one click and am almosot where i want to be.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I use an app called Direct Folders. It lets you bookmark frequently used folders. I only mention it because it has an option to resize file open/save dialogs in windows. Just tested with 3D Max and it works great.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'll check those out.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i use this: http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp . lets you specify the dimensions of the file dialog box, among other things. works with any app that uses the default windows dialog.

i rely on it so much it makes me quite angry whenever i have to use a windows box that doesn't have this installed. :)