Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sherman Tank

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
So I've been workin on this for a class for a while now, this is what I turned in the other day but I would love some more comments on it. Anything to make it better. Triangle count came to 13720. Still need normals on the mud. Used Xoliuls viewport shader

vpgrabshermanlprender4p.jpg

Also one major mistake I already noted was I didn't carry the mud over the stars on the back of the tank.

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know anything about tanks, but the curves on the top body seem way too soft?.

I've google'd "Sherman Tank" and a few pics look like yours, but others have sharp edges. I guess it depends on the model.

Other than that, I'd leave the stars on the back of the tank (last pic) away. The symmetrical dirt is very noticeable. Maybe try adding an extra polygon on top with the detail, or depending on the engine (if you're using a game engine?), maybe use some decals to add the stars or the dirt on top of the stars?.
    (edit - sorry I just noticed you already pointed that out!)

One other thing that feels like is missing and you could fix in a second, would be an Ambient Occlusion pass. Try to make a simple pass and put it on top of your diffuse.
  • Muttt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muttt polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Mlk2121, an occlusion pass would definitely help. Also maybe more dirt on the undercarriage and tracks. It seems odd that there's only dirt on the front armor and none anywhere else. Good work.
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've googled some Sherman tanks and I haven't seen any flaps on those.

Apart from that, your model looks good to me. Make it more appealing by rendering it. :)