Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Panda for unreal

Hi guys, this is the first time I have actually posted anything up. I am currently working on a Panda model for one of my university modules and this is what I have so far. I have to state that I don't enjoy character modelling and I am still working on my texturing skills as again I don't enjoy it.

I realise I may be way to into the actual work flow to change anything at the moment to help with my module but I can always improve on the work after my course.

This is the concept I worked off

popandaconcept.jpg

This the model I started off with, I had to change the shape of the mesh to fit the UT rig.

original2.jpg
original.jpg

torso.jpg
legs.jpg
head.jpg
feet.jpg
arms.jpg

These are the parts together

wire5.jpg
wire4.jpg
wire2.jpg
wire1.jpg

Replies

• Fenix007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These images are of the panda with a simple diffuse texture, i still need to generate some kind of normal and specular maps so Zbrush will be used to help generate normals.

panda1.jpg
    panda2.jpg
    panda3.jpg

This one has the panda with a Chinese paddy hat, this will be a changeable part within unreal, the other will most likely just be a trouser colour change.
    panda4.jpg
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The proportions look way off to me, hes way to tall and thin. He needs to be shorter and more husky. Legs to body ratio looks very very strange, along with the head being to small.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bold statement would be that you will never become good at this if you don't like it. Not even close.

That being said, I take it you have to do it. Major issues right now is, as mentioned proportions but perhaps even more pressing is the matter of fixing your edge flow, aka topology. You have alot of edges that dont serve a purpose or arent looped correctly.

Take a step back remove EVERYTHING you dont need in terms of silhouette, and then slowly add stuff where needed for animation and such.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a man in panda suit. All the joints are wrong, the proportions are wrong. Go look at lots of pictures of cartoon pandas and restart. It would also be worth looking at a tutorial on making a good basemesh that will work in Zbrush, as that one youve got wont.
  • Fenix007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand that the pandas proportions are off but this is the rig I had to model around.

I will take a look at the loops and improve on them so the animations look smooth.

UTrig.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    sexual harassment panda!!!
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    he is so sad :[
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Well, if you don't want to use an skeleton of your own, do something else? It's a cartoony panda, even in real life it has short legs. Makes no sense to make them extra long instead. I'm just saying.
  • Hypnoticat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me it looks like there's a way (many ways, I guess) not to make a new skeleton and animation set (it definitely would be great, but too hard to make by your own and not to drop it). You can not to f*ck up the proportions at the same time. Seriously...

I'm sure you could try to make him have some kind of exoskeleton with "stilts", may be integrated directly in flesh. Ah... *TENDER* I would do it that way, 'cause it'd tear the head away - that kind of contrast between cartoon style and gory hardcore modifications. Hell yeah! :-D

On other side, you could make a pimply guy in panda's costume (some kind of those in malls, you know), it could be fun. Or make it more hardcore: the hunter with clothes made of panda...

O' right, I have to take some pills they prescribed now, makin' life better for some reason they never tell. I'm watching at ya...
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The presentation sheet's are pretty fugly - And you should probably cut out the timeline out of the screenshots before you use them.

The proportions are a bit funky ( but yeah, i get you had to stick to the unreal rig) and the textures could use some work.

Did you make a high poly for this? otherwise generating normal maps is gunna be...interesting.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You shouldn't compromise the character so drastically just to get it in game. Make it look like Po and forget about deforming it to match some crazy skeleton.

If you're really interested in getting it in game you can rescale and reposition joints and there are a handful of ways to transfer motion from one skeleton to another so you don't even have to reanimate the character, at worst clean it up a little, but this... this is not Po.

If the project calls for fitting a character to a specific skeleton, then you need to pick a character that will fit... Also fat characters are a huge technical challenge, its soo hard to get them rigged up, weighted and animating correctly.

Given that Po has such a high production value put into making him look and act like a big fat panda its an incredibly high bar to set for yourself...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the ref that you picked out while it looks cool and those are dynamic poses they really don't help you get a sense of the characters proportions. you probably want to do a little more searching and find stuff a little more orthographic in nature, kind of like this or check out these how to drawing break down shots.
  • Dynamiks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this Panda a brother of Colin's Bear?
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Dynamiks wrote: »
    Is this Panda a brother of Colin's Bear?

First thing that came to my mind aswell ;D They must be related in some way atleast!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    i found this today looking thru some old website tutorial links i have.

http://www.3d-tutorial.com/kung_fu_panda_modeling-892.html