Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HK 416

Replies

• elitewolverine
    EarthQuake dont forget that some of those pieces like the buttstock you metion are "replaceable"

If you go to HK's own website i have seen a picture of the butstock being different from the one you posted and said need work...

Thats the problem with guns though, there is no single 'exact' reference usually as there is always add-ons and different model types...

example:
    HK416N.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, however the buttstock he was modeling WAS the one if the reference. You would have a point if he was modeling something entirely different and I gave baseless crits, but this is not the case.

It is funny to keep seeing this "oh but there are many options" thing as if this means we shouldn't critique the model, when its very easy to just find reference of the correct accessory or whatever that he was modeling.

I've/nobody has said "X needs work because it isn't stock HK416" that would be silly, but instead provided clear critique in regards to the peices he is actually modeling. Also, if he wants to tell me "No, i've actually been modeling from <insert specific reference>" that is cool too, but he hasn't yet which makes me think he appreciates the effort.

Its really silly that people keep coming into this thread to "defend" the guy against some very useful critique, certainly if frell believes I am being too hard on him he can let me know, and I will drop it. However, the opposite is *actually* happening here, he seems to be taking the advice posted in this thread to heart and improving his work. Where is the grave injustice here? I dont see it.
  • elitewolverine
    Not defending him, just stating that there is different options, thats all.

I would/could have pointed out alot of inacuraccies as well, but you were doing a great job, so there was no need.

And just for info sake, he never posted HIS reference pics...just you and mr brightside posted anysort of references. Unless he pmed you or emailed you them, then thats something you have that "we defenders" dont
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I mean if you find some references that more closely represent the model he was making, feel free to post them. Its not really rocket science, there are only so many AR type butt stocks for instance. All of which have a distinct look, so its just a process of elimination. Its clear that he was modeling the pretty standard M4 type buttstock, with the 5x3 indents, until he tells us otherwise this is a very safe assumption to make.

DENNYSGUNSLOWERCOMPLETE.1.jpg
    101005135953_00000000001%20002.jpg
    865.jpg
    stock.jpg

I didn't pick this ref randomly or by chance, if you look at his model its clear that *this is what he is modeling*, and you may even be able to find some slight variations on this stock, the basic features are mostly the same.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thats where I was pulling stuff for the paint over too =P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my beautiful Stag 15 M4 airsoft gun today and its an exact 1/1 replica of an m4 and looks and feels amazing. It makes me want to capture the weight and solidity of this gun in my 3d HK

progress:
    2222222c.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    it looks great... but i would have called it finished last week.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I see tons of inaccuracies still - go back to your refs.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im starting to have some very distracting stuff going on concerning school so I might try and finish this up soon. Sure it won't get into call of duty but it still looks nice nonetheless.
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say it looks great, and every project is a great learning experience! So next time you were to model something like this it would come out that much better, keep at it.

Ben
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some nice improvements here, if you were just going to do ONE last thing, I would revamp the area where the buttstock meets the base. Like shown with the yellow circle after the paintover. Right now the proportions there are just really wrong, the whole area should be roughly the same diamater, but you've got that one triangular shape that is wider than everything else, and occludes the shapes in FPV.

4163.jpg