Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male character - meet 'Verrus'

I've been working on Verrus for a while. I'm largely self-taught, and half of this is practice, so I started by modeling him almost nude with the intention of sculpting clothes using the anatomy as a guide.

Life drawing classes, why didst thou only have female models?

Anyway, I'm meaning to eventually rig him up. My goal is less than 5000 polys or so, with an ideal goal of 4k. I picked those numbers out of the air, incidentally. As said, self taught. Any critique on this guy is welcome.

The reference drawing (again, overdone as an anatomy study):
Verrus_FullBody.jpg

Modeled him in 3ds Max up to 4500 polys, mapped him, then imported him into Mudbox. After some further sculpting and refining there, this is what I came up with:
768x450.jpg

Well, eventually. Those thighs and calves got tuned down later.

Materials, clothes... here's my current WIP screenshot. He's down to about 3k polys here. I'm putting in more detail still, especially around the pants.
Verrus3d_WIP.jpg

As said, critique is welcome on this one. *Fetches security blanket.* I'd really like to do him justice.

Replies

• Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have made some good progress on mudbox, I might not be the best to advise in that area as I am more of a zBrush kind of guy but I think all that sculpt needs is a good tightening of the skin especially around the rear and shoulders. I am currently doing a similar project with a strong male character atm and one of the things I am adding are things such as arm veins which are common on such a build.

What I think is excellent is you seem to have put a lot of good consideration into what kind of strong build this character will have as of course there is a myriad of different strong builds where a person may have more cardio giving them a slimmer upper body or a weight lifter who would have a large upper torso.

I will try to check your progress it will be interesting to see where you go from your base texture.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Good progress so far, always impressive when you're self taught!

I see you have that drawing there as reference, but are you working from that while sculpting, or from a real photo reference? If it's just the drawing, I highly suggest finding some real photos (the internet is your friend here) to use as reference. The drawing is not bad, but some of the porportions are a bit off, and some areas vague. You'll always be able to pull way more detail from the real thing.
  • ElizaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using everything as a reference. A portrait photo for the features, a book of photos covering surface anatomy on the muscles, pictures of body builders and well proportioned men, sometimes even my own hands and feet. You should have seen the look my sister's boyfriend gave me when I started eying him and asked if he would mind taking off his shirt. My sister then proceeded to laugh and tell him that I wanted to see him naked, and that I do this with all her boyfriends (a complete exaggeration, incidentally). He looked about ready to run before we explained.

I think that I got out most of the weird bits. Thank you for your input, and let me know if anything still stands out! I'm hoping to finish the clothes sculpt by tonight or tomorrow.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you go revisit the nude model, I think you should work a bit more on the upper arm too, the anatomy feels off. But so far, pretty good progress ^^

xD as artists we take inspiration wherever we can; a friend of mine sketches while on the train to work, might try that, though I might get weird looks too, I think the trick is to wear dark sunglasses :O
  • ElizaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustinPunio-- Good eye, catching that the arms got toned down! Thank you! I bulked them back up.

As to the newest updates, it was decided by my fashionable sister, friends, and a Mexican-Irish redhead I work with that Verrus simply can't wear red. I changed the pre-material to blue while I consider the color scheme.

I'm trying to finalize the base sculpt before I go any further. Here's the wireframes and the quick renders:

Verrus_RD1_Wireframe_3.jpg

Verrus_RD1_Wireframe_1.jpg

Verrus_RD1_Wireframe_2.jpg

Verrus_RD1_Prematerials.jpg

Verrus is currently 5,300 polys (not triangles). He's not been mapped at all yet, aside from the skin, which I did to teach myself mudbox. The eventual plan is to use Mudbox for the normal maps, rig him, then possibly try him out in Torque 3d.

As before, comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!