Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarven Grappling gun

AS the title suggests, its a grappling gun for dwarven adventurers who are...lets face it to short to reach those high places.
dwarvengrapplinggunwires.jpg
dwarvengrapplinggun4.jpg
dwarvengrapplinggun.jpg
dwarvengrapplinggun3.jpg

Replies

• elitewolverine
    looks cool, the handle texture though looks stretched or funny especially with the lettering being so clear
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, the texture on the handle seems really stretched out. It could be the way your UVs are laid out that's causing that to happen, or it could be the texture itself. What kind of material is the handle supposed to be made of anyhow? You also have some necessary edge loops around the edges of the barrel of the gun itself as well as the trigger. For the texture itself, the actual hook parts of the grappling hook could use a little wear and tear. The hook would definitely take some damage around the edges after multiple uses. Keep up the good work though!
  • HeatSeeking HandGrenade
    Absolutely, the handle seemed too blurry, i thought it was just me. Its actually wood from a shovel my dad has. I agree withe wear and tear too ill have work on it. Thanks for the crits. Any tips for making seems match?
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    dude thats kool how long did the texture take you? I find that the texture some times takes longer then the model its self.
  • elitewolverine
    depends on how your seems are layed out, for stuff like that i use blenders empty uv projection mode to line it up, then bake it out...

but i dont know how you would do it in other programs. A post of your UV's w/seams would help us see how they are laid out...
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret polycounter lvl 11
    looking good so far. As everyone has said before the handle texture needs to be touched up. If the purpose of this weapon is to be a game model you could probably shave off enough polys to get it down to 1k. Some areas to work on: Handle, trigger, trigger guard, and where the big screws are, you can just have the screw geo intersecting the braces so they can be a solid face.
    They are a solid face i didnt cut out the brackets, unless you meant face of the bolts. In that case they ate beveled a couple times. Likewise thebarrel tips are beveled. I could cut it back if i had to. The texture only took me a couple of days.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey mate,
    you could cut out quite a bit of tri on the handle and trigger guard. Also you could add alot of decoration on this ^^
    For example, you could have the barrel shaped like a dragons head and the grapple comes you of its mouth, something to make it not look just grey.
    As for textures, you could do with a bit more work on spec and gloss I think.

Good luck !
    Yeah not a bad idea, well in the game concept the grapple is upgradeable, so may maybe that could be an upgrade. Btw on the subject of optimization i found a few five sided polies i forgot to cut while texturing.