Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Peacemaker (Fallout New Vegas Inspired)

So I decided to start working on a Peacemaker. After awhile of playing around with it I just could not stop there it was just to boring to keep it basic. Then while I was looking at some New Vegas screens it came to me, make the peacemaker Fallout style. So I added the scope and duck-taped flashlight and slight barrel extension for extra awesomeness!

Crits welcome I am looking to get the high poly version looking the best that it can before I start working on a LP version. I am on my way out right now but ill get some wire renders up here when I can.

peacemaker_02.jpg
peacemaker.jpg
peacemaker_01.jpg

Replies

• Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea why they called it a peacemaker lol maybe because after everyone was dead there was peace.... 1800s thinking or something
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Heh, I don't think that SPC understood the name of the weapon correctly, and I don't think you understood the joke he made about it.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Peacemaker, when your enemies are dead you are at peace.

Looks good, the flash light throws me off though.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    If you shot that thing I think the bullet would take the head off that flashlight. Can't see right down the barrel, but just a guess. I like this idea though, keep it up.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The end of the barrel looks to have a bigger hole than the holes in the cylinder? That doesn't make sense.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Chris, good to see you on here!

The first thing I notice is the cylinder is really close(clipping?) through the top of the frame. Maybe add some space so it looks like the cylinder can rotate and pop out right :)

Also, the action that pops the cylinder out to reload is all modeled as one piece on your gun. I recently modeled a revolver and I have some refs left over..

ijGFxE.jpg

I can only assume that most revolvers work similarly :P

Also, I'm not sure if you're even planning on animating, or allowing that part to be animated anyway, so if the whole thing is going to stay static, you probably wouldnt need to worry about that part being separate :)

Keep it up!
  • Mr-Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Single Action Army is not a swing-out revolver. It has a loading gate, the cylinder only rotates and doesn't flip out or anything. I can't tell if there's a loading gate on the model, but I think I can see a crease where it should be, so I assume it's there.

Also, the scope looks kinda small for being on a pistol. And wouldn't that tape mess with the ejection rod?
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yeah, I'm not 100% familiar with all the different types of revolvers :) Good that someone corrected me :P
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup you are correct on both cases, it does have a loading gate on the other side. The flashlights going to go away in the next set of postings, when I get back from work.

As for Super Happy Cow post on the cylinder having some odd shading. I know exactly why its shading is fracked. It has to do with the insets forming bulges at the corners. Been having a lot of issues getting it to smooth right. I did make a second one using a plane and a bend mod with a vertex weld mod then dropping the turbo smooth under the bend which totally fixes the problem your seeing. However the problem I run into after that is a cannot get the holes modeled into the cylinder because the polycount. If I precut the holes and then perform a bend they still turn into rectangles with the bend mod so I am afraid the double smooth under the bend in not the way to go and I somehow have to make the original work.

cylinder.jpg

I will get more wires up here later of the rest of it.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redoing the topology, worked it this time of a plane then ran a bend on it. Thus far everything seems to match up decently. What would you suggest for working the bullet holes into the mesh Cow?

cylinder2.jpg

cylinder4.jpg

cylinder3.jpg
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked the cylinder, trigger and also modeled a new scope design to be bigger. Still getting a lot of problems with the cylinder not smoothing correctly.

model2.jpg

model2W.jpg
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with nicer render, I reworked the cylinder again finally getting it to smooth nicely and hold its shape. Main problem was I was just working with poly count, just had to up the base count and rework the flow of the loops to better take the smooth. Will be working on the low poly mesh over the next week.

Peacemaker.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    The holes in your cylinder are way too small and you need to smooth out the inside of the grooves. Also the frame should be much wider at the back than the front, the FO:NV devs missed this too and their gun model looks like shit because of it. Your grip is wrong too. Old style revolver grips are bell shaped, widest at the bottom. Yours just bulges in the middle.

Colt_Single_Action_Army.jpg
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Kitteh thanks for the feedback, by the frame being wider at the back do you mean the metal part that runs under the grip?
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again Kitteh on the suggestions, I increased the size of the holes which makes a world of difference. Still slightly unsure on the grip it was one of the hardest parts for me to get right and it still may need some tweaks. As for the grooves I pulled a loop out but then I put them back in just something about the crisp look I like on it.

I do however love the styling on that reference you posted. I may work some of that into the normal map at a later date. Really adds a nice touch to it. Ill post so references of my peacemaker that i am going off of sadly mines very basic no nice details.

holes1.jpg

grip1.jpg
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the actual gun I based it off, main changes I made to it was extending the barrel mines the shorter barrel.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That new scope is lookin much better :) and the holes in the cylinder look much more appropriate :P keep it up!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Apophis3d wrote: »
    Updated with nicer render, I reworked the cylinder again finally getting it to smooth nicely and hold its shape. Main problem was I was just working with poly count, just had to up the base count and rework the flow of the loops to better take the smooth. Will be working on the low poly mesh over the next week.

Peacemaker.jpg

With the longer barreled versions of this the ejector rod housing doesn't change size, it's a fixed length, regardless of barrel size, I believe. The pad on the ejector rod is really thin and small, too - you're supposed to be able to get a finger in front of it to work it.

The front screw isn't supposed to be a screw, it's a release for the cylinder.

The front sight is too low/wrong shape.

Your frame is much too thin, your grip shells too thick/backstrap too thin, your cylinder is a bit too long, you're missing the T-shaped divots, and probably more stuff. I'll assume that your loading gate is a nightmare and/or doesn't work since you're not showing it.

Are you just eye-balling this, or did use a reference plane? They can be very handy to get proportions.

Your scope comes back too far - you won't be able to get a thumb on top of the hammer. Try moving the eye-piece forward a bit or raising it up slightly.

Did you model the hole where the firing pin goes when you pull the hammer back? It'll be visible when you fire this.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call on the scope Ghost, will be making some adjustments to it. The ejection rod is supposed to be shorter on the longer version it only comes half way, but I think it looks better going all the way down to match the length. Will make some other adjustments to the ejection rod areas as well and beef them up a tad.

The divots i am going to just see if I can float the geometry, just to much of a hassle to model those in or if worse comes to worse I can always paint them in on a normal map or zbrush it if I have to.

Hole in the firing pin is there so that will not be a problem. As for the loading gates not so much of a nightmare more of a nightmare to model it in so its just hinted that its there and wont actually function.

It was modeled off a reference plane yes, even with those it was still hard to judge some of the lengths do to how the gun lays on its side. As for the screw up front I am not sure all of them ejected the cylinder the peacemaker I have has no way to eject the cylinder its totally fixed to the area it rotates around. Only way to take it off is to undo the screws.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe someone wrote this already but can't rea it all now and maybe it will help. The holes in the barrel for bullets are too small. If you are using correct units and whole model has proper scale use the caliber of a bullet to make those holes proper size. Of course you can eye ball it too...but do them slightly bigger ;] Ohhh and its too thin I think. Especially the body (lower part) and the trigger area.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Maybe someone wrote this already but can't rea it all now and maybe it will help. The holes in the barrel for bullets are too small. If you are using correct units and whole model has proper scale use the caliber of a bullet to make those holes proper size. Of course you can eye ball it too...but do them slightly bigger ;] Ohhh and its too thin I think. Especially the body (lower part) and the trigger area.

Yup bullet holes have been made larger since that render, updated image is the post a few bellow that. Been busy with work stuff the past few days hopefully ill get some time in the adjust some of the critique areas here soon.