Home Technical Talk

Mirroring geometry in ZBrush?

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
..without losing your subdiv levels?

Hi!

I'm working on a character in ZBrush and did quite a bit of work today on one arm, without using symmetry so now I would want to get that detail over to the other side.

I know there's mirror and weld, but I wont work unless I delete my subdivision levels and I don't want to do that - do I have any options?

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Try...
    1. Switch to highest subdiv level
    2. Delete all lower subdiv levels
    3. Mirror
    4. Reconstruct subdiv levels
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,

It crossed my mind, but I have bad experiences with reconstruct failing... anyway, I will try that next, if my current hack doesn't cut it.

I took my character to Max and mirrored him there - then I went back ZBrush and it "works" but the other arm is a bit of a mess. I will try to clean it up.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    go to deformations/smart resym after masking out 1 side of the character
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I tried that already, it doesn't really do the job.

And that's probably because I changed the other side too much for resym to follow. I made a hand for my character in Max and attached that in the other arm. I then took it to ZBrush and happily sculpted away without realizing how difficult it is to get the hand mirrored on the other side.

I think I will try the reconstruct idea next. (but keep them coming if you have more alternatives)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    When you tried smart resym did you work through all the SubD levels starting with the lowest? I've found that to be very reliable if the topology is the same on both halves.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, I'm not sure if I did that from the bottom up.

Also the topology was different because the "proper" hand was just on one side. hmm... I should try mirroring the lowest subdiv again with Max and then give resym another try.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast, Thank you!

That worked perfectly! I took the character to Max, mirrored him and took it back to ZBrush. Then I worked the resym from bottom to top. All six levels became perfect copies of the other side. Thanks so much for the idea.

And thanks to Ruz too for originally suggesting Resym.