Home Technical Talk

Game engine Interaction and 3d Apps

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
I am looking at purchasing a 3D modeling Application for interaction with the Upcomming Cryengine 3 Indie and the New UDK Build.

I am Currently using a Student Version of Maya. Maya is too expensive for my budget atm and I do not like how Autodesk targets Large businesses instead of Individuals. Normal People buy their software too.

But anyway I am looking into 3D Apps other than Autodesk just for that reason.

I Have come across the following applications

Cinema 4D

Luxology Modo

Newtek Lightwave 10

Zbrush (Plan to buy this anyway)

If anyone can adivse me on the software I have found or if they can suggest any other software it would be apereciated.
:) My goal with this software is to make next Generation Games and Scenes.

I am right now thinking of Buying MODO, Lightwave 10 and Zbrush for myself.

Please let me know your thoughts

- HeadClot

EDIT:

Looking at the Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2011 Student Version on journyed.com

Even though I HATE Maya... It still contains some great software and very Cheap as well. :)

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You can get all autodesk products for free if you are a student, just take a look at students.autodesk.com

Modo is also a very good modelling package, dunno about Lightwave never used it.
    I wouldn´t recommend buying Cinema 4D, because last time i took a look at it i had problems getting decent exporters for many things.
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    You can get all autodesk products for free if you are a student, just take a look at students.autodesk.com

Modo is also a very good modelling package, dunno about Lightwave never used it.
    I wouldn´t recommend buying Cinema 4D, because last time i took a look at it i had problems getting decent exporters for many things.

Yeah I am on that, Just school decided to cut the Student Email...

Which means i cannot access my account :(

I really should contact Autodesk support...
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really unfortunate :(
    In my university you can keep your email even if you are not in it anymore.
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really unfortunate :(
    In my university you can keep your email even if you are not in it anymore.

Yeah, that is not the case at my school.

But The good news is i just registered for another account. Not entirely sure if that is ok...

Just used my Personal email and Student ID card as proof.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that´s good enough, because not every university or school offers a personal email address for each student. :)
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that´s good enough, because not every university or school offers a personal email address for each student. :)

Autodesk said you could register for their student program with a personal email in their F.A.Q.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What i meant was that not everyone has such an email address and the only other way to prove it would be a teacher contacting autodesk or like you did showing your id card or something similar.