Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Renaissance Chapel

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
Working on assets for a renaissance era chapel. I've completed this column, and I have a design set for the ceiling vaults. I have ideas for tall windows all along the side walls, large wood doors at the entrance, wooden seats filling the interior space, with a small pulpit at the front and a decorated gold and bronze crucifix high on the back wall.

The column asset and clay render of the high poly:

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    can you post wireframes for the low poly? My only suggestion is to maybe add a little more geometry at the base and at the round decorative bits near the top to round them out. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty nice.
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top circular bits look like they have a hard edge and I think i can see some anomalies with the normal map because of it. Kind of hard to see though so get some low poly wires up!
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Been working a lot on this scene for the last several days.
    2iS6

As for a wire of the low poly column:

2iSf

And a high poly render of the sculpture I made for the statue in this scene:

2iSl

The zbrush model I made to use as the floor tile texture.
    2iSE

The zbrush model made for the wall and window sections.
    2iSG
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You should take a look at actual Renaissance churches and chapels. They do a lot of very specific things with their architecture and decoration.

A good number of Renaissance churches and chapels used the Corinthian order for the capitals of their columns. Corinthian capitals are the most complex of the three classical orders and Renaissance architects tried to emulate the grace and mathematical perfection of late Greek architecture seen in the Corinthian order. Your capitals look a bit like Ionic capitals, or maybe Corinthian capitals with the acanthus leaves removed.

Renaissance architecture also tended to use very plain, smooth columns instead of fluted ones like you might see in Greek or Roman temples, though this is certainly not a strict rule.

Many Renaissance churches have very open floor plans and are well lit with natural light because they have large windows high on the walls. Yours looks almost candle lit and could benefit from more natural looking light.

A Renaissance architect would never, ever have truncated the arches of the ceiling like you have. Those arches should be full half-circles or should segue into something like a coffered ceiling.

A lot of Renaissance churches had plastered walls that were either left white or frescoed with colorful imagery. Brick walls such as the ones you have are generally not seen on the interior of high Renaissance architecture.

The floor should almost certainly not be those small tiles, but instead larger marble ones in geometric and religious patterns.

The Renaissance churches I've seen don't have much by way of figurative sculpture in their interiors. Most figure sculpture is usually restricted to the outside of the church on the facade or up near the altar. Most interior decoration is done with frescoes and paintings, though altars, pulpits and choir boxes are often extremely ornate (and also either left over from older medieval architecture or added later after the Renaissance).

Search around for images of San Lorenzo in Florence, Italy. Its interior is a shining example of high Renaissance architecture. Its exterior is nothing to write home about, though.

Here are some images to get you started:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/San_Lorenzo,_inside_view.JPG
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/San_lorenzo,_cantoria_02.JPG
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/SanLorenzodiFirenze02.jpg