polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
Why?...

-I have checked for un-welded verts
-I have checked for multiple edges
-The shown problem area is on the same smoothing group
-I have tried adding more geo to smooth the mesh out

This is a viewport shot, I have been using Xoliul's shader to view the model, as I have plans to put this in UDK, so I assume it will show up in UDK as well. And this mess ruins my normal map, surprisingly it doesn't show up when I do an actual render.

Problem.jpg

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Those are smoothing groups. The shading is per-vertex. Add more geometry, and they won't be as bad. When you render, the shading is per-pixel I think. Turbosmooth the model, you'll see, you won't see any more "strange dark lines", which aren't strange at all. It's normal.
  • Dismembered
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm I guess I don't know what you mean to add more geo, because I said I already tried that. Could you elaborate? This is my LP after already having made my HP. This mesh doesn't have any maps applied to it just a standard shader.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That's just the way smoothing groups look on lower-poly models. It wont look like that in unreal, and even less so once you get a texture on it.
  • zuno
    Offline / Send Message
    zuno polycounter lvl 5
    I have the same problem on my mesh as well. but the thing is, we can only use stander shader on the mesh without texture. how can I fix this without adding too much control loops? those line is really appearing everywhere and bug me.
    Thanks in advance